Sunday, August 23, 2009

More Madness

This week, our principal had Leadership with the team leaders in the building. In this meeting, she said that everyone coming into the building had to swipe their magnetic badges across the entrance door from now on to account for who was there and who was not and when people were getting to school. It all stems from a few teachers - actually a certain teacher - who, in the past, made it her business to not arrive at school until 9AM. She had an aide and that aide covered for her. The principal was made aware of this situation by other teachers and even went down to the room to see for herself.

Our principal does not like confrontation. She was a guidance counselor in a previous life. Several people have told her that perhaps she should just approach the people who aren't following the rules and her response is: "I don't roll that way." Really? Really. Because if you are in a role of leadership and authority, you'd better be ready to have some critical conversations with the people you are in authority over - because it's not my job to roll that way, either. She would have us police each other. But I don't make the big bucks in Admin - I teach, remember? She's going to have the School Climate Committee come up with a Dress Code because some people don't know how to dress and she's uncomfortable approaching those people - again, that's not how she rolls - but the county already has a dress code in place. I'm not reinventing the wheel, people. Because that's not how I roll.


The kicker, however, came when she announced that on our evaluations, we could be marked as Needs Improvement on Professionalism if we missed 5 days this year and not be eligible for the Exemplary status. This, right now, makes absolutely no sense. The county provides us with 3 personal days and 12 sick days per year. If I choose to take those days, have doctor's notes or whatever, it really shouldn't be held against me and my evaluation. I have children who get sick - on a regular basis - and I'm taking care of them. Those sick children don't always go to the doctor for me to get a note, but it looks like I'll be taking them. And with all those flu warnings, I can guarantee that I won't be coming if I feel feverish. Like I am right now.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope this principal does not have a serious illness herself or in her family or have a death in the family and needs time off. I would hate to work for a principal so unprofessional to take more than 5 days off during the year. (insert rolling eyes here)
Can your union speak to her about this?

The School Climate Committee only needs one short meeting. They can then hand her a copy of the county dress code. Of couse they need to be prepared for the principal to then try to foist enforcement of this off on them.

8/24/2009 9:20 AM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

My last 2 principals have not been very good in the confrontation arena. But Principal Man ~ the one with whom I'm currently serving time ~ takes the cake in the stupidity department, too. I think education requires a strict enforcement of the Peter Principle. You know, mediocrity rises?

Listen, I'm passing some bloggy bling your way this morning...I'd be ever so happy if you stopped by to have a look!

8/24/2009 9:31 AM  
Blogger Angela Watson said...

I once worked for a principal like that and was ready to stab myself in the eyeballs by the end of his first week. So frustrating. I feel you.

8/24/2009 5:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

BTW...aren't you a 'Skins fan? Or is that Cupcake? Anyway, Charles Mann is on my "to do" list today...just thought you'd want to know!

8/27/2009 11:13 AM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Oh my f'ing hell. I have such issues with sick and personal days. Damn it, if they give you the days then WTH is up with them being counted against you?

8/29/2009 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!