Thursday, July 09, 2009

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig


One of my favorite images from the Fourth of July - as I sprinted from the reading of the Declaration of Independence at the Archives to the Air and Space Museum where I met one of the Tuskegee Airmen - is this one of the Fife and Drum Corps on the National Mall getting ready for the parade. As Melissa B has pointed out, the Fourth of July was like the end of September and the day after we were looking for the sweatshirts we didn't pack.
What a road trip. And I mean that very day. My sister dropped me at Archives and I started running. When she picked me up on Independence and 12th, we thought we could just blow on through to Virginia - little did we know that "they" were closing the city down and we had to go down 12th Street, ending up on Pennsylvania Avenue all the way out to Suitland, Maryland. I have a picture of the Andrews Air Force Base exit on 495.
We managed to do all of this in 90 minutes.
While Prep and BrownBear were asleep at home.
I love road trips, but I am certainly glad to be back home.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa B. said...

Oh, you need to write about the fireworks, though. Weren't you staying at the Key Bridge Marriott? Some day we'll do that...I hope!

7/17/2009 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!