Monday, June 08, 2009

Remember When I Said ...

I wasn't going to ever, ever teach summer school again? And then I signed up, but only to teach math because who, in his right mind, teaches reading to 5th graders?

Face it, in this economy, 82 hours at my hourly rate makes a difference. So, I am teaching summer school math and my class is made up of those kids who missed passing by 2 - 3 points. So, for the most part, they are vested in this.

However, my best story so far comes from down the hall from a friend teaching 3rd grade reading. She has a young man in her class who did not pass the super big state test and is here for reading instruction. She sat him down one day last week for some guided reading and asked him to read the first sentence and he told her he couldn't read. (For those interested, the word he got stuck on was the.) He told my friend, "Hers gots the markers." Holy English nightmare, Batman!!


He got suspended today for having a knife in his shoe. (?) I don't know how or why or what. I'm just reporting the facts.

However, we found out today a fact that might explain some of this - his father is his uncle.

Cue the banjoes.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Laughter is really hurting my stomach right now but I am so cracking up. And you? I can't believe you are teaching summer school. What are you, trying for teacher of the year?!

6/08/2009 4:55 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

I lost that honor last year. Just wanted the extra cash because I have a rising SENIOR and I hear that this year sucks the cash right out of you. And since I fear the paycut, furlough day and other sorts of foolishness, I figured 14 days of summer school wouldn't hurt anyone.

6/08/2009 7:31 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Extra cash would be nice, that's for sure. It's only 14 days? Our summer school is like a month or something crazy. No thank you!
And my bruises? Are from the IV attempts. My arms are covered in interesting shades of blue, purple, and green today. Lovely.

6/09/2009 9:07 AM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

Eeeeeeewwww...I feel a "Deliverance" post coming on...BTW...I'm trying to juggle Sx3 today with a college graduation. Please stop by!

6/14/2009 9:50 AM  
Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

Everything and everyone is relative I guess. That just put a big smile on my face.

6/15/2009 1:56 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

oh. my. god.

you could not pay me enough money to do your job. even if i could, which i more than likely could not.

6/16/2009 7:46 PM  
Blogger Teacha said...

your summer school sounds much easier than mine. I hope its over now and you're resting at home. I hate that this kids is in this situation.

6/19/2009 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!