Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ode to my Love

We take this break from countdown to speak from the heart about the crisis at GM and love affair I've been having for the past 13 years. Yes. You heard me. I've been having an affair for 13 years . And here's a picture of my lovah:










Yes. The 1994 GMC Suburban. I got this car on Mother's Day weekend 1996. BrownBear was three months old. Prep was almost four. The car was used (that's what we called it back in the day - none of this gently preowned). It had barely 18,000 miles on it. It was awesome. No one in my family could understand how I could drive or why I loved it but I could drive it - on the Atlanta interstates, I needed to be safe and feel safe and in this baby, I did. I was a soccer mom, a Girl Scout mom and an elementary school and pre-school carpool mom. I could get seven kids in this baby - more if you double buckled. This car went to Virginia, Missouri, and Florida. Several times. It was a party barge.

Fast forward to today. Prep learned how to drive in this party barge. It is making a funny sound in the transmission. The air condition needs freon desperately. The back doors leak when it rains. It has 206,000 miles on it. It still goes, but I only go to work in it.

I think it could go in the GMC hall of fame. And since this baby is falling apart like the parent company, don't you think I could find a good deal on a new one?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand this love. Mine is still in the honeymoon phase - a 2007 Honda Odyssey with GPS (I'm such a geek) - that already shows how much we love it by all the crumbs and smudges and stickers on the windows. (Yes, I need to clean it now that summer's here, but still)

5/16/2009 9:28 AM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

That is one freaking big vehicle.

5/16/2009 9:32 AM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

But what a ride, Angie, what a ride.

5/16/2009 10:58 AM  
Anonymous ssheers said...

My parents have a 1972 version of that car. I remember packing all my belongings from my dorm room into it and two friends on the couch of a front seat, going to my sister's college, and being able to fit all her belongings, too.

That car had to stop for gas as often as my little VW rabbit, but it needed twice as much gas (for twice the price) each time.

5/16/2009 6:19 PM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

We like to call the Suburban the National Car of Texas. Whatever would we do without it? Thanks for the tribute. And please stop by for Sx3 today...we've got quite a Fish Tale goin' on!

5/17/2009 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!