Saturday, May 12, 2007

Field Trip Friday

Friday, we took the 5th graders to the middle school.

It was their opportunity to look around and the middle school counselors' opportunity to put on their show.

The show was all right. I could have done without the cheerleaders shaking their equipment. After the 6th grade band played and lots of people spoke, we went on the tour. Three students per student tour guide. Saw the gym, library, the main office, classrooms... the usual. I also kept running into my former fifth graders who couldn't be happier to see Mrs. Teachergirl. Hugs and squeals of delight. It never fails to amaze me. Some of the worst offenders are often the most happy to see me.


The middle school, however, is still --just not where I would be comfortable dropping off PrepGirl and BrownBear. Would it have done? I don't think so. PrepGirl's friends either went off to private school or transferred out of the local middle school because of its failing AYP scores. I am still conflicted as a teacher but as their parent, I know in my heart that I have done what is best for them.

Oh, and my slappers? Best friends on Friday. I am a girl and I have girls and I still don't understand girls.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the worst offenders! I think it's a sign that you handle them more fairly than they might be used to.

5/12/2007 10:03 PM  
Blogger Law and Order Teacher said...

I coach girl's soccer and I "raised" a daughter (or did she raise me?) I don't understand girls, but I'm a guy. I have an excuse.
I keep a list of "things guys don't do." Among some of the things: 1)girls fix each others hair before a game. 2) girls see each other and say "I love you and hug. Even if they saw each other at the last class break. 3) Girls say "Let's go to the bathroom." 4) Girls say "you look so cute in that." 5) Girls hug each other for seemingly no reason at all. There are many, many more.
I coach girls, I raised a girl, and I don't even come close to understanding girls.

5/13/2007 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!