Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Winken, Blinken or Nod(ding off)?

I took a long lunch today; one that's going to last until the first day of school. And when I got home, I took a long nap. I am exhausted - still - and I have been asleep on every surface in my house. LawyerBoy's chair, couch, bed. I'm surprised I haven't fallen face first in the washer, sink or on top of the kitchen table.

Still got dinner and choir to get through, but who knows if I will be awake long enough to make it or get there.

Why does the end of school knock my socks off like it does?

In other school randomness, creepy principal dad was making our After School Program workers make a list of the times when he and his ex-wife picked their daughters up after school. From Day 1. It appears he is about to make a move for custody; I'd be happy to testify that he is an A number one ASSHAT. (Thanks, Jen Lancaster, for my new vocabulary word!!) You should have seen him in action on our field trip. Asshat.

I also got a phone call today from the middle school math supervisor's secretary - she wanted to know how comfortable I'd be teaching ALGEBRA to 8th graders who had failed the Super Big State Test. (All together, now: AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!) As much as I'd like the extra money, I don't want to fail these kids who so desperately need to pass. And besides, it would apparently mess up my badly needed naps.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Didn't you do the summer school thing last year? And loved every minute of it?

The end of the school year is nothing but aggravation and stress. Our last day of exams is June 10th. When do exam grades need to be entered? JUNE 10th. I will all but grade over their shoulders as they take the damn test.

Then comes all the cumulative folder nonsense, textbook counting, desk counting (!) and the rest of the minutiae. Is it any wonder that you're sleeping every chance you get? I'm ready for a nap NOW, and I haven't even gotten to the workdays.

5/28/2008 6:53 PM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

So, I work in a building that was built in 1966, and has never been renovated. Some student toilets don't flush, the windows leak, the roof is about to cave in. You get the picture.

We were notified this week that the building will get a plumbing overhaul this summer. This is a good thing. But, of course, the other shoe dropped today.

The building's pipes are all located along the far wall in every classroom. And in order for the crews to work on the plumbing, we have to move EVERYTHING. Bookcases, filing cabinets, et al. To top that off, our last day with students is 6/13. Even though we have three teacher days after that, 6/13 is also the last day we'll have air conditioning because--natch--the air con has to be off in order to fix the plumbing.

I started jack-assing (my Dad's good ol' Texas term) furniture today, during yearbook class. Moved two big bookcases, plus contents, all by my little ol' self. As much as I'm in favor of building improvements, I don't think I can jack-ass in a sauna!

5/28/2008 7:01 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Okay - BrownBear offered to make dinner - because she wants to learn how to cook and probably because she was starving - and I was only too happy to let her.

The last days of school suck. Since I am in a trailer, I have to move in all the computer equipment in addition to moving desks and chairs and counting books and ... you know the drill. But this year, I had to kids take down all the stuff on the walls and tape around the baseboards so I can PAINT my miserable room.

Now, as for summer school: my sweet sister, the AP in another state, has to do summer school in her building. She hasn't filled the librarian spot yet. Librarian spot, I said? What summer school has a librarian? Apparently hers does. And I said, get me the job. I like books, I like to read, I like kids; I'll keep track of the books - give me a break. No one in her district has applied for the job. And I don''t think you have to teach. JUST WATCH THE LIBRARY. Hello? I'm your girl.

5/28/2008 8:35 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

I would totally be the summer school librarian! Books? Good. Quiet? Good. Not teaching? GOOD!

5/28/2008 9:07 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

Why do I feel like - and selfishly kind of hope that, if only for blog fodder - it isn't that easy? Don't you worry that you'll get pulled into classrooms to cover for absentees? Or have to teach something in the library?

I wish I was a librarian, I tell ya. To work with books would be a dream.

5/28/2008 9:09 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

My dream. Books. Quiet. And a paycheck. Like that episode of Twilight Zone. And you know I'll be in a room full of angry 5th graders who didn't pass a test in some state. Or better yet, I'll be my little sister's gopher. She'd just love that.

5/28/2008 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!