Sunday, June 29, 2008

The New American Vacation

Is not very different than it was from the past. I am not yet the world traveler that I dreamt I would be. I had that whole Ernest Hemingwayesque worldview before I met LawyerBoy - lots of time in Paris and Italy. That whole thing, you know.

Instead, I am the mother of two American teenagers who have grandparents with a beachhouse. God bless them. For years, our vacations have consisted of beach trips, just as long as we could get there and back. Sweet.

Thanksgivings were covered, too. Nothing like celebrating the Pilgrims with a beach walk after turkey.

So, all this doom and gloom? Not so much here. Yes, the electric bill came and while I was mildly shocked, I had to remember that it is not as bad as it could be.

Now the things that bother the hell out of me while I travel: first, letting go and letting PrepGirl drive. I have a horrible time letting go of anything, so letting her drive is absolutely painful for me to do. But I let her drive all the way down I-16 to Savannah. Does she scare the hell out of me? Yes, yes she does. But only because I am not driving. And when I take over, she and BrownBear start doing what I do to Prep: "Too close, too fast, do youseethatcarinfrontofyou? Is that a policeman? Oh My Goodness!!!!!!!!!"

And people, when you are traveling and you let your son go into the ladies room at the Chick-Fil-A, make damned certain he needs to be in the ladies room. If he is 12 and not with his mother, I don't think he needs to be in there with his sister. And I especially don't think he needs to be in there if he is peeing all over the seats. Seats I will need to be using because PrepGirl has just scared the piss out of me. Thankyouverymuch.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Primo has four years to go before he can get a driver's license. I already am not amused.

The Queen can get hers when she's 20. Secondo will be prohibited - legally, if I have my way - from getting his until he's 30. Trust me. You WANT that to happen.

Lucky you and lucky them to have grandparents with a beach house. Mine have one set with a retirement condo in Naples, Florida, where you can't swim past 8:00 p.m., and another set who lives an hour away from fun 'n surf. Both drive about 35 miles-an-hour. It's the price we pay.

As for the 12-year-old boy freeing his bladder hither and yon, I say you have that kid arrested. Or better yet, arrest the mother.

6/29/2008 12:03 PM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

I'm the Mom of 2 American teens as well, & I've got one thing to say: I'm JEALOUS of the beach house access! We're going to the beach for our annual summer jaunt in August & the 17-year-old wants to drive, solo bueno. Don't know what the decision will be--stay tuned! BTW, BTW, I'm looking for some "creative help," if you've got a second. Please check out my post for today at http://scholastic-scribe.blogspot.com/2008/06/whats-she-googling-today-curious-cat.html --thanks!

6/29/2008 6:16 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Oh, I know I will have major control issues when it's time for the kids to drive. Especially Little Miss. She is so independent and stubborn already. Lord help me.
Oh, okay. I thought the last paragraph about the boy in the ladies' room was about your son. Then I read Cupcake's comment and I feel much better now. Thanks, Cupcake. I was confused! Not too difficult to do this early.

6/30/2008 7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!