Thursday, June 19, 2008

This Week in Review

I was going to post something tragically beautiful about Tim Russert's funeral - the ukelele playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and then how everyone went outside the Kennedy Center to a double rainbow spreading across the sky of Washington or how my brother and sister stood in line at St. Alban's for hours just to walk past Tim's casket - but my brother, ever the stoic, said that there were more people waiting to see Tim than Reagan and he just couldn't do it. I very politely pointed out to him that the weather was lovelier than during the Reagan funeral and, please, get a book and get your ass in that line for me.

So, my children have given up on me - they won't even turn on the NBC affiliates in front of me anymore, in case there's one more mention of Tim Russert. Or Meet the Press.

I've been in Professional Development this week. I've gone with a dear friend to learn how to mentor new teachers. (Is anyone else a little scared to have me for a mentor?) Our teachers are actually very good - but thank goodness this class ends tomorrow, because I'm pretty tired of standing in a circle and singing "Kum ba yah." I have been pretty inspired about lesson planning and things like that, but my mentee had better be prepared for me. If you're doing something stupid, be prepared to hear about it. I don't have time to sugar coat it, honey. Listen hard and fix it. Kum ba yah.

Other than that - hallelujah it is vacation!!! PrepGirl has started lifeguarding at the pool and yesterday, I just had to go down and take a look. How sweet it is to see one of them actually making money and not just taking it from you.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

The Pro actually told me that he was happy I'm at the (damn) yearbook workshop because it means he gets a break from me boohooing over Tim Russert.

I may have to stop by a divorce attorney on the drive home.

6/19/2008 8:30 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Please. I think the divorce papers have already been filed. I told LawyerBoy this morning that as soon as the children were out of the house, I was joining the Catholic Church. I got a thoughtful "hmm" as he tried to remember just how to file for an uncontested divorce in this state.

6/19/2008 8:40 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

Yeah, the Catholics lock you in pretty tight. But I'm banking on Tim being a Catholic, therefore justifying my obsession with sadness over his death. I'll let you know how it goes.

6/19/2008 9:26 PM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

Went down to St. Albans & couldn't find a parking space! I'm Episcopalian, & my kids were both baptized there, so I considered parking on the Cathedral grounds & invoking "seniority," but feared that St. Peter & Tim might not approve. No point pulling rank to honor a Man of the People. For sure, the crowds were much bigger than for Ronnie. I hope your siblings were able to honor Tim.

On a lighter note, you're invited to contribute to Take Another Look Thursday. It’s a way we teachers can stay on our toes this summer! http://scholastic-scribe.blogspot.com/2008/06/take-another-look-thursday.html
And, PS: I'd LOVE to have you as a mentor!

6/20/2008 2:56 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Teacher workshop? Yuck!

6/20/2008 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!