Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Week That Kicked My Behind (Part 12)

Because, really, isn't every week kicking my butt? This week, however, was particularly crazy because we got back from the western tour of colleges late Monday night and LawyerBoy and I had a full Tuesday. Not so much Prep and BrownBear, who had Tuesday as the second day of Fall Break.

First, I love (LOVE) Ole Miss. What's not to love? It's the mother ship calling me home. The college, the square, the shops, the BOOKSTORE(!!), the whole preppiness of the thing. Put on your pearls and call it a day. A true college town. Prep and her friend were so excited to be getting handed off on that Friday night, that she forgot to turn around and ask for cash. LB and I headed to Memphis - I took the wheel and took off. Twenty five miles outside of Memphis, I blew a tire. Middle of the night. Eventually, LB had to ask, "Can't you ever take a college trip without blowing one of these tires?" Well, apparently not.

Memphis is an interesting place. I drank more there than I have in years. I watched ducks waddle around a hotel lobby. Graceland disappointed me more than I can say. Barbecue in Memphis is fantastic.

Next stop, University of Alabama. This is the first school that accepted Prep. This is the school that Joe Namath quarterbacked for. We were both excited.

As soon as we rolled into 'Bama, she looked around and said, "Not so much." Not so much? Did I mention that the greatest quarterback in modern time roamed this campus? Not so much? Damn.

On to Auburn. Which she liked. A lot. Not as much as Ole Miss, but she is worried about the distance and the route. (Did I mention there is no direct, interstate route from Atlanta to Oxford, Mississippi? You should have been there for that conversation in Birmingham.) So, our thousand mile road trip could have been taken care of in an afternoon - at least I think it could have. It could have today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

And there's still a few more options on the table.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Is she interested in a school that doesn't require a twang?

Maybe you and LawyerBoy could lobby congress for some highway construction, a la Roosevelt's New Deal. People get jobs, you get a direct route. It's a win-win proposition!

I'm with you on Graceland, by the way, although I loved the Elvis mini mall across the street. I bought some Love Me Tender shampoo and conditioner and I got my picture taken inside the Lisa Marie. Sadly, we did not stay in the Heartbreak Hotel, an oversight I hope that you and LB did not suffer.

10/24/2009 5:41 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

My friend and her daughter also did the Mississippi/Alabama college tour last weekend. We only had Monday off, though, so they skipped Auburn. And since Auburn is better known as MHS West, they skipped it on purpose.

Her daughter loved, loved, loved Ole Miss, too. And Bama, not so much. Send me a pm on facebook and I'll dish some details you might be interested in hearing.

10/24/2009 6:01 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

If I thought I could get a highway built in six months, I know that girl would be on her way. The twang schools are pretty much in her blood. She wants a big Southern football school - after spending six years in one of the smallest schools here, she is looking big. I don't know if she'll be happy, but she's willing to look. She has a few small schools still on the list, but that's not what she's looking for. BrownBear - I'm trying to steer her toward W&M but she's talking Harvard and Yale even though she wants to stay in the South. (That's what you get when you talk to an 8th grader.)

I didn't realize that Auburn was so popular with MHS. Prep seems to think it is popular with the kids from her neck of the woods. We'll see.

10/24/2009 6:40 PM  
Blogger Teacha said...

never understood the hype around graceland AND the price for the tickets.

11/29/2009 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!