Friday, October 09, 2009

More Rumblings Heard 'Round the Building

We had a flood around these parts not long ago, and this is what happened to one of our schools. Conditions were so bad, people couldn't get out of their neighborhoods. Homes were destroyed, roads washed away, electricity was out for days.

School was cancelled on the Tuesday after this disaster - take a good look at this building, people. It didn't take long for the flood waters to fill this place up. Teachers lost everything. Knowing me, I would have lost my damned car keys. However, being one of the lucky ones, I didn't teach in this building.
The Wednesday after this disaster, we were called in for a teacher workday. Mind you, roads were still out, people were still homeless and there were still those who had no power. But, "if conditions warrant safe travel, get your smarmy selves to work." Well, thanks Superintendent Dumbass, who took that raise and then decided to decrease our salaries 2%! We reported for duty!

Today we heard that we were going to be furloughed for that Tuesday or we were going to have to take a personal day - the act of God Tuesday- conditions were so bad that the GOVERNOR said that people should not be out! The county has days built into the calendar for crappy days like this? Does this now mean that for every snow/hurricane/ice day, I'm gonna have to call in a personal day? What were the flooded teachers supposed to do? My own husband didn't go to work that day... what the hell is this superintendent and his board think?

If the school board lets this stand, they are all going down in the 2010 elections. Mark my words. The teachers are ready for a fight.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I would be very afraid if I was on this school board (I told you before that we moved out of the county because I couldn't stand the school board, and that was about 5 boards ago....they don't get any better) since I saw the power of teachers firsthand. They really were the ones who kicked Roy Barnes out of office (with a little help from the flaggers). I wouldn't want to mess with teachers, for sure!

10/10/2009 8:27 AM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

I was one of those teachers. I had a good friend who worked on Sonny's campaign and I was teaching government. My friend said that after the election, she would bring Sonny to my class to talk about the election process and stuff like that because no one thought he would be elected... little did she realize what an impact the teachers of this state would have on the entire election.

Heaven help her - she has also said that Sonny has called Cobb County schools the "gem of Georgia education." I cannot concur.

10/10/2009 8:36 AM  
Blogger Geist Bites said...

I love the idea of teachers being ready for a fight! Please write witty placards when potentially demonstrating- any pictures of such things would make my day any day.

10/11/2009 9:31 AM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

Isn't it just like a school district to a) schedule an inservice in the wake of an Act of God, and b) force teachers to attend. We have quite a few dumbasses in our neck o' the woods, too. The ones who make us go to school when hurricane winds are blowing over 100 mph come to mind...

10/16/2009 8:34 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Did the superintendent go in to the office - or better yet, did he bring a bucket and bail out the flooded schools? Nope, I didn't think so.

10/16/2009 8:52 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

That is ridiculous! Where is your teacher's union? Our union fights everything...and I am so grateful to our union reps.

10/18/2009 4:30 PM  
Blogger Angela Watson said...

Ugh, so sorry that happened! :-(

10/25/2009 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!