Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tales Out of School (Thanks, Pat Welsh!)

  • Divided up the darlings for "Springtime Summer School." I can tell you right now - this isn't going to work. The 16 kids who were picked think they are in prison - and they are. Two hours of math and two hours of reading remediation because the county couldn't figure out finances for summer school. And I was involved in picking the kids we thought might not pass the Super Big State Test. Somebody's going to get sued.
  • Got an email from the head douche telling us which order he's going to fire us in because the county couldn't figure out finances and he's $137 million in the red next year. Right now, they are looking to get rid of about 580 teachers in the district. The half time people and limited contract people found out in a mass email that their services weren't going to be needed next year. Oh, yeah - the Board changed the RIF policy LAST WEEK. To make it easier to get rid of us.
  • My second student teacher will be leaving me after tomorrow. Damn. I hate when they leave.
  • Can summer be far away? Is that Cancun calling me? You bet.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Oh man. Things are bad. I can't quite figure out what the problem is, though...is it the school board? They've been just ridiculous since my kids started school--same shiot, different douchebags. I can't quite figure out what the parents, the MDJ, etc. expect. I think we finally moved to MCS when we'd had 5 supts. in 4 years and Jenna was getting jerked into a new school every third year. And I don't regret it. At all.

I do love Gordon P. To death. He was so happy to get out of CCSD, you have no idea.

Here's the strange thing...look at how many of the county HS's are dropping from AAAAA to AAAA. That means the county is aging out and nobody has figured out what to do about it yet. Skerrrrry times ahead.

4/22/2010 7:03 PM  
Blogger Brittany said...

Oh no! Cuts are just terrible. Our district is trying to cut what they can before they start cutting teachers. We will probably have a salary freeze for a few years too. :(

4/22/2010 8:48 PM  
Blogger TeachEnEspanol said...

Wow. I know that this is a less than inspired comment, but the politics of things can just be sickening sometimes. The fact that they're blatantly changing the RIP policy at this juncture is such a sign of the times. Props on mentoring student teachers! As soon as I get enough experience I feel a big responsibility to do the same.

4/22/2010 9:36 PM  
Blogger Lennye said...

My student teacher leaves tomorrow (Mercer's top education graduate) and there are no jobs. Our district is looking to cut all fine arts to save money. These are definately the tough times. Oh yes, and the govenor wants to pass merit pay...where's that money coming from.

4/22/2010 10:09 PM  
Blogger Angela Watson said...

Oh geez. I'm sorry to read all of that. Except for the Cancun part. Glad you have a bright spot to focus on. :-)

4/26/2010 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!