Friday, September 14, 2007

Learning How to Write

Got a visit from more county people this week. They invaded my school space, talking about the wonders of Writer's Workshop. Don't get me wrong; I've heard good things about Writer's Workshop for a long time. Shoot, I think I participated in Writer's Workshop as a kid.

Let me tell you what bothers me about this visit. Our principal is the one who initiated this visit. Our state now requires the fifth grade to take the Writing Assessment, but passing it isn't necessary to go on to sixth grade. It would be one thing if we weren't involved in writing at all, but that isn't the case. We have spent tons of money working with a guy who has been to our school who has taught our kids how to write. We have worked with him and his ideas for years now, and his methods have been pretty successful. He doesn't align to Writer's Workshop very well, at all, though. But our principal is the one who initiated this writing method. I would be all for kicking him to the side of the road if he and his methods didn't work. We were completely stressed out after our county visit. They actually want us to completely dismantle what we are doing so we can do something else. Five weeks after we have already started school.

And now, I come to the irony. BrownBear came home from school that VERY afternoon and said her English teacher had asked where she had gone to elementary school. BrownBear told her and her English teacher told her that her first essay was excellent and to tell her old teachers that they had done a wonderful job with their writing program. Hello!!?? Remember where BrownBear went to elementary school? Guess where she learned how to write and which program she learned under? The very program our principal wants to ditch.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

And we're shocked why? My school district is addicted to Harry Wong, I have not yet been indoctrinated so I'm a bit skeptical. I did like the 6+1 method, because it's done in plain English.

9/14/2007 9:00 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Vegas Art Guy, you are completely right. Why am I shocked at all? This is the complete nature of things in our world.

9/15/2007 6:48 AM  
Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

Hopefully things will get better for you. I know we're supposed to be flexible, but I'm not sure about pretzel shaped...

9/15/2007 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!