Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Who Is a Patriot?

Apparently, I have a mini United Nations in my classroom. While we were discussing 9/11 (to clear up some misconceptions), my students were talking about their memories of the day. I was surprised at how much they did remember, seeing as how they were only four at the time. However, what surprised me the most is where a lot of these kids were on that day. One in India, one in Rumania, one in Russia, one in Columbia, one in Mexico and one in England.

We talked a lot about being a patriot, today. What exactly did it mean and why was today Patriot Day? We've been studying the Constitution and the Framers were patriots, but we don't honor them, today. They started connecting the dots - a patriot is a person who loves, honors and defends his/her country. You don't have to be president to be a patriot; you can be a fireman, a policeman, a guy going to work, a kid going to school. As long as you love your country and are willing to honor it with your actions, you are a patriot. I think we came away with a lot today.

And, of course, Mrs. Teachergirl had a story to tell. The 'where were you' on September 11th story. Just like my grandmother's story when FDR died, and my mother's story when JFK died. My brother-in-law should have been in the first tower, but he was home. My sister could see the Pentagon burning from her school. The things I remember are how empty the roads were when I finally went home from school. And how long the line was when I stopped at the Red Cross to donate blood. And how my friend couldn't get home from Paris for about an additional week. And how another friend was flying a jet for Delta and was told to land at the first available airport by order of the President of the United States. And how empty the skies were. Except for the fighter planes. And my greatest act of faith that week was putting PrepGirl and BrownBear on the school bus the morning after. Because we are Americans. But we are also patriots.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Can I join your class?? I'll wear dreds if you want.

I love the post, especially the last three lines.

9/11/2007 8:34 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Cupcake, you can come any day of the week, any time of the day, any month of the year. You are always welcome.

9/11/2007 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!