Sunday, December 16, 2007

Twas the Week Before Christmas

This week before Christmas is always a tough one for a teacher; being the mother of two upper school students makes it doubly stressful. At school, we have secret projects for parents, gifts to make for our book buddies, parties, and programs. They are already so off task they can't breathe - the next five days are the charming ones. (sarcasm, of course)

Bob Marley is so ADHD, he can't function. (That, of course, is my personal diagnosis. Perhaps wrong, but perhaps not.) He wandered off to the library last Friday and returned without the book he had asked to go get. He couldn't ( or wouldn't - can't figure this one out) tell me what he had been doing in the time he was gone and this isn't the first time this has happened. Stammered, stuttered, hemmed and hawed around my desk for forever. I still don't have an explanation. I don't know if he knows, either. He talks just fine when he isn't answering a question for me. He doesn't follow directions and after I give directions, he is the only person in my face, asking me what to do. Multi-step kills him.

A return e-mail from his home wanted to know if his mom could spend three days a week in the classroom with him, straightening him out. I need some parental help, but I don't know if this is it. Three days a week with him and his mom? In my room? I am a little territorial; this is bothersome to me. Must think hard on the return reply to this.


Back to exam week - I now have two getting ready for exams. The steady sixth grader and the hyper tenth grader. The Western Civ teacher (for PrepGirl) gave everyone a 90 on the only paper they have written this semester because he didn't have time to grade it. He said to talk to him if there was a problem. Prep said, "Party on!" I would have been irate. That is the difference between us.

Prep's and BrownBear's Varsity football team went to one of the state championship games this weekend. They had their hats handed to them. Their clocks cleaned. Oh, yes, and thank you for asking, it rained like it must have for Noah. I sent them on their way in thunder and lightning.

So, by Wednesday, we'll be all ready for this to be over. They get out Thursday and I still have to muddle through Friday.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Mama Marley hovering for three days? Can't be good. It just canNOT be good. Does she think he'll stay on task with her around? Does she think she can handle him but you can't? So she rides herd on the boy for three days, then he's gone for a two-week break. What happens when he returns?

Good luck to your girls on their exams. Prep's teacher sounds like the worst sort. Seriously. What does that teach students???

Oh, and Bob? I swear I have his evil twin. Or evil quintuplets, as the case(s) may be.

12/16/2007 8:28 PM  
Blogger Sally Datria said...

I have a Bob Marley twin in my class as well!! He makes my head want to spin around and spit green stuff out at times!! And having Mama Marley in class?? NO THANK YOU!! There is a REASON he is the way he is, you know?!?!?

Good luck with that!!

12/24/2007 1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!