Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Symphony Day

Dudes. Symphony day. On a yellow school bus. With the temperature dropping minute by minute.

After it was all said and done, it really wasn't that bad. Most of the children put on their best clothes and found their best manners. I was proud of them. But, of course, when we got back, they were wired for sound. (Ha!!) And if I had been on my game, I would have packed a DVD in my school bag and sat them around the LCD projector for a little movie time - because with the wind whipping and the tiny snow flakes flying from the sky, we weren't going outside for love nor money. So, we worked on pronouns. (I am an ogre, okay?)

Oh, and this. My principal got this e-mail from a parent a few days ago. One of my flipping room mothers, for crying out loud.

"My husband and I would like to set up a meeting with you this week to discuss some concerns we have with my little darling in the classroom. He has related a few comments made by Mrs. Teachergirl that are of some concern to us. I had an initial meeting with Mrs. Teachergirl back in early December to discuss and things appeared to have improved temporarily, however, he has mentioned a couple of issues the last couple of weeks that has us concerned. "
The principal's only question was what's going on.

My question, too. Because since December, we have had what is called CONFERENCE WEEK. We discussed this little darling's behavior in detail. We discussed the fact that all his other teachers are having issues with him. Oh yeah, and since then, I have written private school applications for him since then.

What chaps my behind is the fact that she went behind my back and climbed over my head to get to my principal to bitch and moan about me. What is she talking about? Could be anything. Precious didn't get recess on Friday because he hadn't turned in a Social Studies project and tried to turn in some half-assed piece of crap he threw together. Did I tell him he wasn't going to get away with that? Yes, yes I did. Was I frustrated with him (and several of his classmates who tried to pull the same crap?) You bet I was.

His excuse/defense? "I turned it into the substitute." My reply? "Boys and girls? Do we ever turn in anything to a substitute?" And like a choir, they all said, "No. Substitutes lose things."

But, you see, I have no idea what she is talking about, because her e-mail is vague. Her son is immature and almost ADD. Can't stay seated, has trouble focussing, can't get his rear-end in the chair (and believe me, I let the guys who can't stay seated stand by their desks - if it helps them focus, then it helps me teach), but Precious loops his feet across the top of his chair and tries to kneel in his chair. But I am somehow at fault. Lovely.

(My principal, though, said it sounds like Precious is having a bout of fifth-grade-itis. God love her. )

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Finding Normal said...

Good luck with the mom. I hate it when they pull that over-your-head to get you in trouble crap! I had one do that to me earlier this year, claiming my kids think I don't like them. Um, no, your child is not treated like an angel when in my presence which is a shock to his precious system since he can do no wrong in your eyes. Even worse? She's a TA at my school, so I have to deal with her all.the.freakin.time. UGH!

2/13/2008 8:34 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

Sigh.

If you meet with that broad and DON'T bitch slap her right into next week, you will be an even bigger hero than you already are.

So glad the symphony went well. Take a page out of Cupcake's lesson plans: always have DVD locked and loaded. I keep a few spares in my desk, just in case.

2/13/2008 8:42 PM  
Blogger Sally Datria said...

Do they ever get it? The pronoun thing I mean...I KNOW the parents never get it...been there done that. I had a mom pull a kid from our SCHOOL because I "hated" her child...sigh...if private tutoring for free and three billion extra opportunities to ATTEMPT to get her to PASS well then, hate on!!

2/14/2008 12:56 AM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Parents suck. Okay, not all of them. But really, can't they see the BIG picture?! Anyway, glad your symphony went well. Hope ours goes as well in April. We are planning symphony, lunch at McDonalds and free time at a local park, weather permitting! What could go wrong?!

2/14/2008 7:37 PM  
Blogger M said...

I had the parent thing this week too...along with Valetnine's party, Jump Rope for Heart and Pennies for Patients...all of which I am soley in charge of...thank goodness we have "ski week" next week!

2/14/2008 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!