Saturday, January 26, 2008

Nuts and Bolts




After reading about Cupcake's woes, I realized that this Wednesday is the dreaded Sex Day in the fifth grade. A licensed nurse visits our school for an entire day and directs our youth in the ways of their hormones. Literally, I could kill myself. For the past four years, I have had to sit in the back of the classroom and listen as the story of how you came to be is painfully told. Granted, the boys and girls are divided up, but still.
BrownBear said it was a weird day. You don't see the boys all day long and then, at the end of the day, when you do, well, it is, in a word, awkward.
My parents have returned these permissions slips like it is a permission slip to the Second Coming.
I had already spoken to both PrepGirl and BrownBear before the big class, but the day PrepGirl came home from this, she got off the bus, wide eyed. I couldn't imagine what she could be wide-eyed from, so, silly me; I asked her what was up.
"Well," she said, "they talked about the boy stuff. And there were overhead pictures." Of course. Overhead pictures of stuff you don't even want to think about, right there in your face.
I made sure to include the boy stuff in my talk with BrownBear.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

The Queen and Secondo came home with permission slips for "puberty classes" in which they will discuss abstinence.

Stop laughing.

I expect you to FEEL my pain, not smirk at it.

1/27/2008 4:55 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Oh, Lord. We wait until like literally the last week of 5th grade. Then we split the kids up. We show "the movie" and allow time for Q & A...that's Q & A not to be confused with T & A. Anyway...then we pass out the deodorant, booklets, and the girls get pads. Last year I had the boys. First question, "Does it hurt?!" I know I turned every shade of red and gasped. Turns out the poor kid was talking about having a baby...not, you know, the other thing. ;)

1/27/2008 5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's much better when the teachers do the sex talk, 'cause the kids are used to you. We do ours at Utopia. It's student led, in the sense that we use their questions to guide the talk. They get the anatomy part of it in science.

So the questions range from: Why are boys so weird? to When is it ok to masturbate? From What's a lap dance? to Is it ok to date at our age?

I love it, actually.

1/27/2008 7:33 PM  
Blogger Finding Normal said...

That is one part of 6th grade I won't miss this year (I moved down to 4th). It was always so eye-opening to hear just how much those boys knew, or thought they knew.

1/27/2008 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!