Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Conference Week

In the past, our county has mandated two conference weeks; one in the fall and one in the spring. Apparently, we have wasted too much time with parents by doing this, so this year, the powers that be decided to consolidate our conferences into January conference week. Five days of conferences, starting the day after the MLK holiday. All of these days are early release days which mean that I lose the little darlings at 12:10. I'm just getting warmed up at 12:10, people. By said dismissal, we've had to cram in our specials and lunch. My team insists on teaching math and then I insist on a little Social Studies and Reading. And bibbidy bobbidy boo... the school day is magically over and parents begin to invade my private space.



Today wasn't as bad as I expected. Of course, there was the parent who told me her daughter did know her math facts at home. (Well, she doesn't know them or won't do them at school. She managed to get an F in math from her math teacher - phew- it wasn't me - but, by golly, she knows her facts.) And, I haven't had my conference with scary assistant principal daddy. So, we'll see how it goes. After all, tomorrow is Wednesday.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

We have Hell Night when the first report cards go out. It's great. Noon to 8:00 p.m., hanging out in the classroom, waiting for parents to show up. I thought it seemed like medieval torture until I read your conference schedule. Now I think I'm doing all right.

I cannot WAIT to hear about Scary Assistant Principal Daddy. I'm on the edge of my seat with suspense!

1/22/2008 8:49 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

We have fall and spring conferences as well. We do two early release days each time. We have our "spring" conferences during the first week of February. Those are probably my least favorite days of the year!Good luck with scary assistant principal daddy.

1/22/2008 8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ick. I don't enjoy conferences, and I can't imagine 4 days of them. Or 4 days of early release. Obviously the people who plan these things don't actually have to live through them!
Love the math facts mama! I've got several of those parents this year. One boy reads fine at home and mom insists picture books (in 4th) are a crutch and wants him in chapter books. He.cannot.read. Apparently he can at home though... ;)
Good luck! And conference nights are automatic no-cooking nights in our house!

1/22/2008 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!