Friday, January 25, 2008

Conference Week Roundup

  • Bob Marley's mom came - late - apple doesn't fall far from the tree - and she told me that she doesn't agree with him having to take the Super Big State Test because she knows that he is smart; she believes he is almost gifted (!), but I told her I had neither written nor passed the legislation, I just had to get him through the test. I also told her that he was basically counting on his fingers when we were doing timed multiplication tests. That he was reading at least two grades below grade level. That he can't string coherent sentences together. She found that hard to believe. I want to know what part of FantasyLand she is living in and when I can get my condo.
  • The sweetest kid in my class is also the MOST unorganized boy in my room. He might win an award for being one of the most unorganized kids I have ever met. His parents came today and his dad (Mr. Trial Attorney/Mr. Anal Retentive/Mr. BlueTooth in His Ear ALL THE DAMNED TIME/Mr. Indiana Jones Hat on His Head) asked what he could do for his kid. (How sweet to hear those words.) I assured him that half the kids had the same problem and I suggested that Mr. Anal Retentive come one afternoon and give a pep talk, organizational lecture on how to keep your desk, notebook and backpack organized. AND HE SAID YES.
  • Only one parent stood me up.
  • No one yelled.
  • No one cried.
  • I understand my kids SO MUCH after seeing and hearing their parents.
  • The ones in denial are in deep, deep denial (she knows her facts at home) but everyone else understands what strengths and weaknesses their children have.
  • Scary Principal Daddy is a pompous ass. If he can be in administration in this county, your monkey's uncle could probably be in administration.
  • I came home and slept the sleep of the dead. (Chinese food all around) Conference week is the most mind boggling, time consuming, life sucking week of the year. There has to be a better way and somebody's monkey's uncle needs to find it.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Oh, good grief, teach. You guys could try our routine: we sit in our classrooms for 7.5 hours, waiting for parents to show up. Some do, most don't. The not knowing is difficult, but we get it over with in one night.

It's so good to know that Bob's hairdresser-cum-teacher mother knows the real him. And please please PLEASE take photos of Mr. Trial Attorney/Mr. Anal Retentive/Mr. BlueTooth in His Ear ALL THE DAMNED TIME when he gives his presentation on desk, notebook and backpack organization. Make sure you zoom in on the BlueTooth and Indiana Jones fedora.

Pretty please??

1/25/2008 9:35 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

I love reading your blogs...but I almost love your labels even more. They crack me up. Glad things went as well as they did. Conferences definitely open my eyes to the "real" world that these kids are living in everyday.

1/26/2008 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!