Monday, July 14, 2008

Oh My Holy Hell

Two weeks from tomorrow is PrepGirl's SIXTEENTH birthday. I was taking it in stride. Of course, she was not.



I didn't realize, however, that the rest of our family was getting ready to coronate the heiress presumptive. (And trust me, she and BrownBear are the only two grandchildren on one side and they are two of three grand children on the other, so realistically, we are getting ready for a freaking coronation.) The grandparents, ShoeKing and LawyerBoy are figuring out how to give her a car - a car - so she can tool around in relative coolness and comfort during her Junior year. And by coolness, I don't mean AC.



I have staged a mini-revolution: I have thrown myself down and declared that I will have a continuous fit if she gets a car before I do. Let me show you what I am driving:

Mine doesn't look this good - 203,000 miles will do that to a car. Now, LawyerBoy is in complete agreement with me; he is working on finding me that perfect car that doesn't say old lady - something more like teacher in midlife crisis.

I am still apprehensive about tossing keys to PrepGirl. However, when I turned 16, I had an uncle who told me that he had a car waiting for me and I am still waiting for him to toss those car keys to me. (I look in the driveway every Christmas morning and birthday, just in case.) I want her to be that princess on her birthday, but oh my holy hell, I don't want her to be legally blonde...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

I had ACCESS to a car when I was 16. The car was not mine. Primo will have ACCESS. The Queen will have ACCESS when she's 18 and out of the house, where I don't have to watch her drive. Secondo will get his license when he's 30.

If PrepGirl gets a better car than you, then that is JUST WRONG. Remember: you have the valuable ammunition of "withholding" that you can pull out, sister. I'm just sayin', is all.

7/15/2008 9:57 AM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Give that big ol thing to PrepGirl. She couldn't be safer in something so big. Let her drive it till it dies. Then get yourself something cute and sporty, but still practical. I have an Escape and LOVE it.

7/16/2008 6:41 AM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Cupcake: I have threatened the mandatory "withhold."

Angie: One of the many reasons to get rid of beloved 'Burb is because of its 9 mpg.

I'm thinking about a bike. Seriously - two days per week, I could plan to peddle to school (trust me, I'm not that far). I would save money, get some much needed exercise and appear to be environmentally conscious. It's just the other idiots I'd have to watch out for.

7/16/2008 8:45 AM  
Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

I sold our jeep when it had 199000 miles on it. Now I drive the low mileage VW with 140000 miles on it.

Get her something like a Hyudai Accent, good mileage and only 5k for the base model.

7/19/2008 11:53 PM  
Blogger Steff said...

I found your blog, and have enjoyed it so far. I'm going to TRY to go back and start at the beginning, so I can fully enjoy it all!

I HAD to comment, we have a soon to be 16 yr old, and we are 'long distance parents' She's my hubby's from his first marriage (but I call her mine too!) She lives with mom 100 miles away, thinking of her with a car freaks me out. Her, her mom, and her grandma work at a car dealership, I'M SCARED!

Best of luck to you!

7/21/2008 11:58 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Well, howdy, me!, and welcoome. Good luck with that soon to be 16 year old. Prep doesn't know about the car. I'M SCARED, TOO. And scared for you.

7/23/2008 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!