Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration Follies, Part Deux

When all hell broke loose over the choice of Rick Warren to be at Barack's inauguration, I knew yesterday was going to be fun.

Then I broadcast the Lord's Prayer over my classroom and I wrote that down in my lesson plan book - that doesn't happen every day.

Aretha and her hat. God bless her. (Michelle and her clothes are an entirely different post. Gold dress, green shoes? Evening gown with pompoms? Thank goodness for men's wear.)

Yo Yo Ma. You bet.

Love John Roberts. His way or no way. I'm not sure we really have a new President based on that oath.

But then we have the benediction. Down here in the deep South, the Reverend Lowery is something of an icon. All parties were pleased with his choice - a civil rights giant, giving the benediction at the inauguration of America's first African American president. And then he drops the bomb.

"...help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."

Hmmmm.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Angela Watson said...

Hilarious post, and great recap!

Can't believe you didn't like the yellow dress with green shoes/gloves! I couldn't take my eyes off her. Such a classic and classy look. Ahh. Loved it.

1/21/2009 8:36 PM  
Blogger Finding Normal said...

I said the Lord's Prayer OUT LOUD! first time ever (at school). Granted, my kids were in PE, but it was still bizarre.
I really thought the yellow dress looked lime green on John Deere Mom's Smartboard, until she came outside, then it looked a bit more yellow. And the JDM told me it was gold, so I believed her. Then I went back to my room across the hall and pretended it was lime (my fav color)--less patriotic perhaps but better.

1/21/2009 9:33 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

this makes me think of that little ditty they posted over the toilets at camp to conserve water: "If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down."

1/30/2009 5:38 PM  
Blogger Teacha said...

Now, you can't talk about Aretha's hat! It was the bomb! The PERFECT church hat. . .ole girl was steppin'. Shoot, ya'll, don't know a good church hat when ya see it.

I was crackin up at Rev Lowery. My kids thought he made it up. Funny. My BFF said, she was praying right along with him . ..and she got to that point and one eye popped open. I think it was like that for all of us.

2/17/2009 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!