Thursday, April 30, 2009

It's Always Something, Part Uno

I teach the brilliant math students. No questions asked. However, I often run into parents of these students who do not meet these criteria. Point in case:

A few weeks ago, we celebrated Pi Day after studying circles, circumference, diameter, pi, and the area of circles. On Pi Day, we (which is usually celebrated on March 14th) ask the students to bring in their favorite pies and we do various activities with the pies before we cut them up and share them.

My superstudentteacherchick and I sent home a note about our Pi Day Celebration replete with our explanation of what we had been studying (pi) and how we planned on celebrating (with pie).

The note was to be signed and returned if a student was going to bring a pie to school. I received 12 notes indicating that pies would be brought to school. It wasn't until superstudentteachergirl handed me one of that I realized that "it's always something."

The mom had gone through my note and every time I had written the word pi she added an e and changed the word to pie.

I appreciate the help but I am OCD when it comes to spelling. Especially something I am sending home to parents. I meant for pi to be pi because it has a special meaning in math - a meaning I meant for all the students to understand. My question is this: did she think we had spent 4 1/2 weeks studying pie?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger John Deere Mom said...

I would have had major issues with that! I definitely would have sent a note back explaining it. Did you?!

5/02/2009 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the many notes and field trip notes that came back where it was clear the mom was doing something else during some portion of the note, or at least I always hope so...

5/02/2009 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once had a parent call the principal to complain that her child had brought home a classroom book with misspellings in it.
It turned out that the book was one of the dinosaur books I had brought back from the British museum. The parent was complaining about British spelling.

5/06/2009 8:50 AM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

This British book cracks me up. And no, Angie, I didn't send a note home. Some things aren't worth the effort.

5/07/2009 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Middle School Secretary said...

LOL. I might have showed it to the student and suggested he give mom a math/spelling lesson. Then I'd have been sure to remind him that only homemade pi is acceptable.

:)

5/08/2009 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!