Monday, July 31, 2006

Teachergirl Gripes

Watching Oprah ... just love it when she bitches and moans about things she doesn't have a clue about. Today is the dum, dum, dum.... Schools In Crisis. Dropouts, bad schools, bad teachers. We're going to hell in a handbasket. Oh, no. Anderson Cooper is checking out the bad school buildings.

Here's the deal. If you have a child, you have to care about that child. That means you have to get up off your lazy butt and make sure he knows how to read on grade level and she can recite (yes, recite) her multiplication facts.

My job is to teach.

I can't teach if you think it's all done in my classroom. By the time these babies get to me, they should be grounded in the basics. If you let your child go to school in a building that is falling apart, shame on you. These are your kids. You brought them into this world. I care about them and I am doing my best; you need to check their agendas and see to it that they are doing their homework, that they are reading every night, that they eat dinner at the table with their family and that they get a good night's sleep. Make them bathe and get them something for breakfast. I'll take it from there.

Oprah keeps saying that this is a wake up call for America's parents. Guess what? Parents need to get it together and realize that they have some responsibility in this equation. So, if Oprah is going to motivate the parents and help them understand that education is the key to their children's futures - bring it on.

BrownBear and PrepGirl hear it from me all the time; nothing like having a mother as a teacher. I'm talking college options with my 5th grader.

Read a book. Read it to your kids. Do some math problems. It's good for you and it will absolutely be good for your kids. Let me thank you in advance.


By the way, PrepGirl's ultrasound was fine; they were looking for an aortic aneurysm. It was a good thing that I didn't know that going into the procedure. They had to pick me up off the floor when they told me.

Check out Sally at the bottom of the page. Thank PrepGirl for helping me get it there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!