Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Do-Over

Today seems more like the first day of the new year. Some things are starting to get back to normal; LawyerBoy has to go to work (working at the dining room table doesn't count) and I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about school again. There are so many things I need to re-think and re-do and these next few days are my do-over. While I hate the traditional New Year, I am grateful that I get a chance to change a few of my classroom policies and procedures to get this band of pirates back on track.

The first change has already happened; two of my children have been removed from my room and now reside with other members of my team. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this because I feel like a new woman. It is going to give them a new opportunity and it is going to give me a new opportunity, too.

The first major change I am going to institute has to do with writing. I am going to require a writing notebook similar to the one that Aimee Buckner talks about in her book, Notebook Know-How. We haven't written enough, they hate it when they have to write and now I am going to make it happen everyday. They are supposed to bring composition books with them on Monday; I am going to the Dollar Store or wherever to grab a handful to make sure everyone has one when we start. They need a voice and a way to express it. But they have to do it by learning and following the rules of grammar and expression. This is so hard for most of them and it frustrates me to no end. But this leads me to number two:

Reading. These kids hate to read. But you can't write well if you don't read. So, I am instituting daily silent reading, daily oral reading and reader's workshop. I don't know how I am going to fit it all in, especially with Science, Social Studies, Spelling, Math, Health and standardized testing breathing down our necks, but I really believe the two most important things these kids need to be able to do is read and write.

So, fellow educators, any ideas? Any comments? Or am I the only one in this leaky boat?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terri-

Great job. Love the post as it reflects well what I am doing today and tomorrow before I see my kiddos again on Thursday. Enjoy the break you have left. Plan well. Have expectations and keep 'em!

1/02/2007 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a workday tomorrow and then the kids come back. I'm so in mourning for the demise of my Christmas break.

Regarding my wordless wednesday.....how on earth did you know that little factoid??????????and I thought I had a good one this time....

Ok, give it up...how did you know?

If you haven't already go on over to my Georgia On My Mind site and look at the one I have up over there below the sticky post. Now just who is that, little missy?

BTW.....I'm a deer caught in headlights going back into the classroom. I'm clueless as to what I'm going to do in LA. Of course in history we will begin the French and Indian War straightaway.

1/03/2007 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!