Thursday, December 07, 2006

Thirteen Things About the Christmas Cantata

Thirteen Things about Singing in the Christmas Cantata
1. I get to stand behind the bass player from the Symphony; the guy is awesome!
2. Cantata is such a fantastic word!! Can't say it enough: cantata - cantata - cantata
3. The orchestra is so loud that even if I make a mistake, ChoirGuy can't hear me.
4. This is the best one ChoirGuy has picked: AgnusDei.
5. I'm not wearing the old lady dress they used to make us wear; since the choir rail is being left up, ChoirGuy told me short, black concert attire was acceptable. (And if it is good enough for ChoirGuy, it should be good enough for everybody else, ladies!!)
6. I'm a little miffed that the alto solo has been handed over to a soprano. Talk amongst yourselves - if the composer had wanted a screecher to sing the part, he/she would have written soprano solo by the music. Altos always get the short end of the stick. Trust me.
7. PrepGirl and BrownBear are also singing this year. LawyerBoy's mother is playing with the orchestra - this makes it a multigenerational event for us.
8. A reception is being planned after the cantata. Good idea - I never liked singing like crazy and then just walking away. Too much emotion involved just to leave.
9. I need a way to get a drink of water every now and then without anyone detecting just what I'm doing.
10. If #9, I will have to wear a Depends because of weakening school teacher bladder.
11. Might need to wear a visor because spotlights blind me. Black concert attire and tennis visor, anyone?
12. The miracle of Christmas cantata: ChoirGuy didn't take a bite out of anyone's butt last night at dress rehearsal. Years past, he has chewed us up and spit us out. (There is a mighty cold front moving in right now; maybe hell has frozen over.)
13. The best thing of all: personal day on Monday.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love, love, love your list! As a choir member myself, I completely understand. Except my choir is small, so my choirguy is always nice..he can't afford to lose any choirmembers. And he gives us bottled water. Umm...I'm a soprano so I think we get the short end of the stick..lol. Visit my TT on why I don't have a cat.
Merry Christmas and hope your cantata (I love to say it too) goes great.

12/07/2006 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list, and it sounds like things are on the right track for a great performance! Happy TT

12/07/2006 8:13 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

this is a great TT - very nostalgic! #10 esp - reminded me of when I was about 7 and Mom was to sing in the adult choir and I in the kids' choir on Cantata night... Mom laid out all my best Sunday clothes for me and I was SO proud to get all ready and I was so excited to go sing... we drove into town from the farm and just as we arrived at the church I realized I had forgotten to put on my underpants under my church dress in my excitement to get ready! thanks for a great TT!

12/07/2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger BlondeBrony said...

Sounds wonderful. Wish I could hear it.

Happy TT!

12/08/2006 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way for the family to do something together.
I wish I could sing!

Where are the SNOW DAYS????

12/08/2006 5:25 AM  
Blogger Zoemonster said...

errr.. what zactly eees the Thursday 13?

I am not sure what it ees! If it involves leaving a hyperlink, or creating a blawgroll, I already done flunked!

SL

12/08/2006 6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list. Happy Holidays!

12/08/2006 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!