Wednesday, November 29, 2006


Thirteen Things about Teaching!!!

I have been teaching for years. I have taught with people in places that made me a strong, fabulous teacher. I chose this life, but I firmly believe I was called to teach. This, however,has been the most difficult year I can remember. I have had extraordinary classes in the past. I have had hard classes in the past. This one, this one, however, ranks up there with "when will it ever end?"

1. Most students I teach don't take the time to read directions. They are up in my face before I've got time to take a breath. "What am I supposed to do?" "Have you read the directions?" "Uh, no."
2. Most students I teach would rather die than read. Really.
3. Most students I teach can't string together two coherent sentences. Really.
4. Most students I teach can't recite any multiplication facts. Takes practice. That's hard. Really.
5. Most students I teach would rather cut up in class than learn something that might come in handy this April. Really.
6. Most students I teach are more worldly than I ever was. Really. I was (and still am) the queen of the geeks.
7. Most students I teach don't remember what they learned last year and can't apply it to what we are doing this year. Really. (Does there, they're and their ring a bell?)
8. Most students I teach don't believe in the miracle of Christmas...Santa Claus, Rudolph, Frosty, Christmas carols... it's all a big joke to them.
9. Most students I teach are followers instead of leaders. It's a sad shame, but it is true. Really.
10. Most students I teach haven't had an original thought this entire year.
11. Most students I teach couldn't spell their way out of a paper bag.
12. Most students I teach believe that grades are something I give them instead of something they earn.
13. Most students I teach sat three rows away from the symphony and slept.
How many days until Christmas???

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch--they fell asleep at the symphony?
Loved your list, even though a bit sad.

11/30/2006 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe all 13. Really.

Why do I believe? Because I have two children. This too shall pass. One day they will mature. Hopefully.

Thanks for commenting on my blog today.. I'll take all the encouragement I can get to survive the next couple weeks. Take care! :)

11/30/2006 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I miss where you said what age you teach? Either way it's sad. Happy TT anyway :)

11/30/2006 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, we have the same students! I have a fear what the future is leading us too. Of course, we have some great students.

11/30/2006 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
This year of yours sounds suspiciously like mine last year. I thought I had burned it. I'm sorry it found its way to you. Hang in there. Maybe my good year this year can find its way to you as well.

11/30/2006 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to all of these!! I really don't have a lot to compare my kids to, but I'm waiting and praying for semester to end so I can get some new students...and I'm hoping they don't make me want to rip my hair out like this bunch does.

Your numbers 1 and 12 are the ones that really kill me. I've intentionally put things like "Instead of answering the following questions, write your name in each blank for five extra credit points" just to see if any of them read the directions...two students out of 50 did. And as for #12, this is my biggest pet peeve. I wish I could get this through their heads...give them a sense of ownership. I really feel as if this would help with the rest of the issues.

Excellent list. And excellent blog.

12/01/2006 3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hummm. Are you sure you weren't talking about my class. It sounds exactly like them...this could have been my TT! All I can say is that I definitely understand what you are going through this year! Hope you have a great weekend!

12/01/2006 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!