Friday, August 03, 2007

You Can't Stop an Avalanche as It Races Down a Hill

Spent the morning in my classroom, sorting out my desk and closet and putting up the two new bulletin boards. I have no idea what is going to happen at my school this year. After last year's bad ride and the revolving door I was privy to, I can't believe we are low in numbers. There is talk among the teachers that teachers will probably be cut across the grade levels.

But, you can't stop the river as it rushes to the sea.

I have a bit more seniority in the county in my grade level than my teaching partner. And it doesn't matter if you have more building seniority.

We believe that part of the problem is the new charter school that was slated to open last Monday. They didn't make it, and they have promised to open this Monday. They have had many problems getting a principal and facilities. Right now, they have trailers set up in a commercial warehouse-type park. Across the four lane road from the Waffle House. No playground. No cafeteria. (I guess they get to go to the Waffle House.)

You can't stop the motion of the ocean or the sun in the sky.

So, we wait and worry. Is anybody coming to our school this year? Where will the teachers go? And to pour salt into the wound, there was an article in yesterday's paper stating that the county was hustling to hire 90 more new teachers to fill all the positions before the first day of school. My first thought was, "let's not be so hasty!!" We might need a few of those spots.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!