Saturday, September 15, 2007

"What's Up Front, Doc?"



I believe I could have been in Korea with Henry Blake, Trapper John McIntyre and Hawkeye Pierce. Right now, I am watching the MASH marathon and my favorite episode, "Chief Surgeon Who?" is on. You must know the one where Hawk eye is appointed Chief Surgeon, much to the chagrin of Frank Burns and Margaret Houlihan. "I've sipped, lapped, and taken gin intravenously, but I have never swilled gin." "I've got oak leaves on my shoulder." "Well, I've got dimples on my butt." And, of course, "One thing that will get you nowhere with me is impersonating my wife." "That's a bit strong." "Did you realize you have a man on guard duty wearing a skirt? Yeah, but lucky for us, he's got the legs for it."


I couldn't believe it when Henry died; I grew to love Colonel Potter, but I couldn't say "Hello, Larry." I don't think McLean Stevenson ever forgave himself, either. But when John McIntyre went home and was replaced by that B.J. Hunnicutt, I did not love him at all. After a while, I wanted them to ship him home, too. Or shoot him down over the Sea of Japan. "Goodbye, BJ."


I nearly went to medical school because of this show. Instead, I became a teacher.


On another note, PrepGirl has announced that she would like to apply to two colleges so far.
Wake Forest and the College of Charleston.
Both beautiful.
Both liberal arts.
Both expensive as hell.
Phew.
I went to a private liberal arts college and spent about five grand a year. In the dark ages, of course, but still. Does a good liberal arts education have to cost $45,000 per year? That's a little less than what I make per year.
Maybe medical school was the answer to the question.








Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

I did like BJ Honeycut, lots acutally. I also grew to like Potter and Winchester. I did miss Radar though. It's still one of the best shows ever.

9/16/2007 2:32 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

Tell her what my father told me: I will pay for you to go to any college you want, so long as it's in state. If you choose to go private or out of state, I'll pay in-state tuition.

Killed me at the time because I wanted to go to Smith. (Yeah, I know. I think I just wanted to be far, far away. And, uh, no way could I have gotten in, but that's a whole 'nother matter.)

Maybe she'll get one of those obscure scholarships I always read about that are geared specifically for narrow interests. David Letterman used to - and may still - have a schoolarship at Ball State for C students. No wonder I heart him.

9/17/2007 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!