Monday, February 18, 2008

President's Day. Thank You, Gentlemen.
















Prep and BrownBear are in a lather. You see, they sauntered off to school as I waved good-bye to them as I stood in the doorway in my pajamas. Apparently, their politically correct private school took MLK Day, but chose to blow off the Presidents. Now, while I am often loathe to stir the pot, I am interested. When did one person become more important than the 43 people who have led this country for the past 200+ years? When I was growing up (here it comes), we celebrated Lincoln's Birthday (log cabin milk cartons) and then a scant two weeks later, we celebrated the hell out of George Washington's birthday. Growing up in Washington's hometown, we had to biggest parade; we ate cherry pie. We wore tri-cornered hats. Granted, I was living through the Civil Rights Movement, but I never thought I would send my daughters to a school that would blow off President's Day. Blow it right off.


So, dear internettters, discuss. As you do, some pictures of some of my all time favorite presidents.


And an anecdote of a favorite school project I make all my classes do: Something I stole called Presidential China. Everyone picks a number between 1 - 43. That is your president. You research that president and get yourself a color picture of him. Creatively put all your information on a white paper plate and decorate it. Hence, you have "Presidential China."



Last year, we did this little project, and one of my geniuses said, "I didn't know they had presidents in China." That is why I continue to make them do this project, year after year. Because they don't have presidents in China, Precious.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger tamasha said...

How old are your students? Do you allow them to share the negative things about the Presidents they research? Like the fact that so many of them were slave owners...

2/18/2008 4:12 PM  
Blogger Finding Normal said...

We had school today. One of my kids asked if it was President's Day, so we had a brief discussion. I like your China though!

2/18/2008 4:32 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

tamasha - whatever they find is fair game. My students are 5th graders. We have already studied the Constitution in depth and have discussed how men who were slaveholders could have created a nation based solely on freedom. We talk about Nixon resigning and Clinton being impeached.

debbie - China is fun!!

2/18/2008 5:41 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

I wish my kids had you for a teacher when they get to the 5th grade. You don't anticipate a move a couple states north any time soon, do you? Cause they're in the 4th grade now, so we need to get the ball rolling. Secondo and The Queen need some good old American history.

I grew up in the same area you did, so Washington and Lincoln days were huge. The kiddies in my county had school today, although they threw the former Prezzes a bone by making it only a half day. Big whoop. I'm all for MLK day, but why not Washington and Lincoln? And I am so with you on TR. There ought to be a TR Day.

2/18/2008 5:58 PM  
Blogger Teacha said...

now Presidential China is something I'm going to put in my repertoire for next year. Even though I teach high school World History, I'll probably get the same response from my students. I can not undermine the contributions of Dr. King--thus a week long celebration in my class--but Presidential contributions are import to remember as well. Lest we never forget. Thanks for the idea.
(Sorry for the delay, I'm just now catching up on my feeder)

3/17/2008 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!