Sunday, November 09, 2008

Censorship and Your Contract

California Teacher Guy is having some problems. While he is reluctant to say just exactly what the problem just is, many have speculated that his blog has been discovered by administrators and superintendents.

I have been following CTG for years, it seems. I have learned many things about teaching from him, and in fact, just changed the seating in my room based on some things I just recently read.

While I can only speculate what has indeed happened to CTG, I am concerned for the rest of us. I grew up with Pat Welsh, who has been writing about education out in the open since I was in high school. He had support from my principal and Pat has always told it like it is. Whether you agree with him or not, he has always spoken truth to power. (And, God love him, he is still in the classroom. Teaching. Students. Well past retirement age and just as delicious as he was when I adored him 30 years ago.)

I believe that the rest of us speak our own truth to power. Whether you personally agree with my politics -which I try to stay clear of for many, many reasons - or not, I believe as educators, we speak our own truths every day.

I don't think my own principal, however much she adores me would be in agreement with many of my blog topics. Her reasons would probably be valid ones. However, let's be clear - I don't think that what I've ever said is completely child specific. You would have to know me personally to identify anyone I have ever written about. I am no Pat Welsh. I don't write for the national news; however, if there is anyone out there who wants me, I am contract ready.

All I am saying is this: if it can happen to CTG, it could happen to the rest of us. Keep your eyes open and your backs to the wall. And keep on posting.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

I, too, have been following CTG, and my heart breaks for him. He has had a couple of rough years, and I agree that it sounds as if he has been discovered.

I try to cover up the identities of my Geniuses, but if an administrator stumbled upon the blog, I don't think it would take long to figure out the school in question.

I hate this whole Big Brother thing. Really. It stifles my creativity, for Oprah's sake.

11/09/2008 12:55 PM  
Blogger Finding Normal said...

This is exactly why I stopped writing about my classroom about a month ago, and (I think) edited out most of what I had said about the kids. It stinks that our freedom of speech isn't as free as the rest of the universe. Perhaps we all need to go to private, then we could really have some fun!

11/09/2008 4:24 PM  
Blogger Mr. McGuire said...

The only post my superintendent cared about was when her name was mentioned. The email came exactly one day after the post.

I added a disclaimer the next day stating that the blog and the opinions were mine and not the districts.

11/10/2008 8:32 PM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

Thanks so much for the heads up. I tried to contact CTG and his blog is now Invitation Only, although he continues to comment at my place. I can't imagine why a sweet, smart guy like CTG would be in trouble, but admins are pretty whacked out sometimes. I guess that's what they wear the Big Pants. This situation is quite distressing to me. Please keep us posted!

11/16/2008 5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!