Monday, July 09, 2007

The Next Big Adventure

Thursday, I leave for a week at James Madison University to study the Constitution.

I am officially the empress of the geeks.

I applied for, and won, a scholarship to spend an entire week studying the Constititution and learning how to teach it to elementary students.

I can't wait.

You see, I am a history major.

I am a Virginian.

I am going to be all alone.


This is going to be just like college. :)

Now the downside: I am Sissy McNutcase when it comes to flying. I don't know if it's because I am claustrophobic (yes), or I am a control freak (absolutely) or every time I go to get on a plane, some other nut job tries to blow up an airport or whatever. So, I have to take off my shoes, unpack my laptop, and be prepared to prove that my Bobbie Brown foundation isn't going to explode upon take off.

I wasn't always like this. I used to get on a plane and sleep before takeoff. I could hop a Delta jet to New York for the weekend like other people hop onto their bicycles.

Then, once, I hopped a jet with Lawyerboy and we hit the motherlode of turbulence. "All is well," Lawyerboy, who also holds his pilot's license, "if something bad were to happen, the pilot would hit the seatbelt light." And so help me, that is exactly what happened.

And something in me snapped.

It also didn't help that we were coming in over Key Bridge, which had just been the scene of the crash of that Air Florida jet. During college, I usually worked in Washington, crossing one of those bridges daily. With those big jets going over- you haven't taken off in a jet until yours goes out on the runway at Reagan National and then basically backs up to be sure it has enough room for takeoff. Seriously. It reminds me of a slingshot. Or taking off on an aircraft carrier.

So, I have become a bad flyer. It has something to do with not being in control and also being terrified of dying in a fiery plane crash. That's all. I also believe that flying is akin to magic. I don't understand how it works - I mean, after all, the wings have to be able to move up and down. THAT freaks me out. Don't ask me why. Maybe it looks like they are trying to fall off.

I am always afraid that I am going to freak out like William Shatner did in that episode of The Twilight Zone.

So, there you have it.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger 100 Farmers said...

When you're landing, just start listing the Bill of Rights and which amendment is which. It might not help but it will get you ready for your class. Good Luck. I am jealous.

7/10/2007 9:46 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi, I just started reading your blog a few weeks ago and I've really been enjoying it! I just graduated from JMU with a Master of Arts in Teaching and a PreK-6 license. JMU has a great education program and I think you'll enjoy it. Harrisonburg is beautiful, as well :)

-Rachel

7/10/2007 1:05 PM  
Blogger Sally Datria said...

ROFLOL!! I am TOTALLY with you on the flying thing!! My best friend convinced me (and bought the ticket or it would NOT have happened) to fly out to Georgia to visit with her and a mutual friend and it was the first time I have flown in 6 years!! I have one word for you friend...ATIVAN!! It is a lifesaver!! I actually saved some of my work for a class I'm taking for the flight and managed to finish 6 chapters of a Brain Research book and the assignments that went along with them on that flight!! Enjoy your conference!! Sounds like fun!

7/11/2007 1:11 AM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Thanks, girls! I am watching the very last Frasier, procrastinating, yet again, but I am almost all packed.

My doctor has called in a prescription of something - Xanax or Ativan - because of your suggestion, Sally.

Wish me luck.

7/11/2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Dewey said...

Wow, have fun with the week-long class!

7/11/2007 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!