Thursday, August 16, 2007

103 in the Shade

Help me Oprah. Today, something went bonkers with the learning cottage thermostat and after lunch, we got up to 89 degrees. I sent for the principal. Oprah love my little learners, they wanted to know what they had done wrong. "Nothing, darlings. We are just dying from heat exhaustion and I want the principal to get an understanding of our duress." We limped through the end of the day and the compressor finally kicked on, but I swear, I melted. My cute haircut looks like something I cannot describe.

My principal is a saint and she has promised help. Relief. Aid. Another trailer is still having trouble and a first grade classroom inside the building has no air at all. I can't complain if the six year olds are suffering.

Granted, my kids wanted to whine, but they managed to hold it together. I was proud of them. I was ready to throw in the towel, but they just wanted water and some peace and quiet. And I gave it to them.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Oh, good Oprah. 89 in the learning cottage? Could you open up the doors for cross-ventilation, or did that just make it hotter? Our water went out last year for half the day. The kiddies couldn't flush the toilets, drink from the water fountain or wash their hands with soap and water. To me, that was cause to send everyone home. Basic hygiene and all that. But to the administration, it was a character building exercise. Cause it really builds character to smell the stench of a toilet that has sat unflushed for four hours. Yes, it does.

Here's to a better day tomorrow. How was Bob today? Has he tuned in and turned on?

8/16/2007 8:51 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Yikes! I work in the city and last year I was on the third floor of our building with no air (every day) and only basement size window. It was the worst, so I can sympathize! My room averaged 95-100 everyday by lunch come June. Not much learning got done those days!

8/17/2007 2:02 AM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Cupcake: Today, Bob was tuned out: he asked if it was ice cream day and when I told him yes, he wanted to know if I could foot the bill. I told him I didn't give my own kids ice cream money.

CitySchoolTeach: Third floor? Isn't walking up all those stairs against some kind of union contract? No air? What city school has no air? That kind of heat just rises and stays put. It probably didn't cool off until December. You have my deepest sympathy.

8/17/2007 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!