Thursday, September 27, 2007

Back from the Party and Ready to Die

That's completely the way I felt Tuesday morning. I had spent a very long weekend in D.C. with some other teachers attending some conference. However, as soon as it ended, we hit the trail. (The Metro, really.)

Two of my teacher friends had never seen the nation's capital. NEVER. With my sister's help, we thoroughly endoctrinated them in our nation's history. It is never easy, picking and choosing just what sites to see, especially when time is limited. One of them thought we could cruise the Smithsonian. After all, she said, we had 45 minutes.

They marched my fanny up and down the mall, from the Smithsonian station all the way down to the Lincoln Memorial, with pit stops at the White House, Washington Memorial, World War II Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial. (I couldn't take one more step over to the Korean War Memorial - I'm so sorry.) We then cruised Georgetown, Dupont Circle, (Sydney Wade couldn't get off of it in The American President), the Jefferson Memorial and then down to the Capitol, Supreme Court and Library of Congress. I'm tired remembering. And Arlington National Cemetery, two hours before we were supposed to fly home. That plane ride back was the longest time I had sat down in four days.

My children nearly cried when I got back. "Dad's Dad, but he's no Mom."

That was the best part of the trip.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Teach is back!!!

You are describing my home sweet home and making me feel ever so wistful. I worked off Dupont Circle, back in the day. I also worked on Connecticut Avenue, across from the Mayflower. I loved working in Washington, even if I didn't always love my jobs.

I've never been to the Vietnam Memorial, I am ashamed to say. What about the National Archives? Did you go there? It's one of my faves.

9/28/2007 8:27 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

The quote from your children is priceless! I know it touched your heart.

9/30/2007 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!