Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I Guess You Thought I Was on Vacation, Too!!

If it's not one thing, here in the deep south, it's another. Today, it's raining glass. Yep. You heard right. The mess downtown isn't quite picked up and many office buildings and hotels have broken glass hanging out. Another large storm blew through today and suddenly, those loose shards started falling from the sky. Duck. Or better yet, don't go downtown.

Here's another juicy tidbit: our county plans for summer school way early - so we send registration forms for all those kids we think just might be in danger of failing the Big State Test. I sent one home with Bob Marley for many, many reasons. Reasons I discussed with his mother during conference week in January. He finally brought the form to me this morning and said that his mother wanted a conference. Okay...to discuss what? The failing grades on his report card, his below grade level reading, his below average ITBS scores from the fall, his inability to stay organized with a buddy, his inability to articulate where he has been and what he has been doing, his amazing 20 AR points for the entire year to date, his inability to read fluently after a year of me trying to get him to, OR.... the fact that he failed the 3rd grade Big State Test and 3rd grade itself and Mama never mentioned to us. No, she was too busy convincing herself that he is GIFTED. So, please. Let's have that conference.

And another one took that letter home and hid it. I forgot that he is one of my "story-tellers." He kept telling me that his mother had the form. I finally e-mailed his mother this morning and she promptly told me that she had never seen this summer school letter and to safety pin it to him like a first grader. And so, I did. Because this woman scares me.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger KinderDazed said...

Wow. I can't wait to hear what wonderful insight she must have at that conference!
You handeled that very well. Inspired me to start my own blog actually, it's new, but hopefully I'll have some time to work on it.

3/19/2008 9:15 PM  
Blogger Sally Datria said...

I LOVE these conferences...I had one just before break. Mom thought darling was just unmotivated...Dad thinks he's emotionally unstable...I'm going with Dad's assessment!

3/27/2008 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!