Friday, March 14, 2008

Fabulous Friday, Also Known as Pi Day

I bet you thought that I hadn't posted because birthday debauchery had kept me from my computer. Nothing of the sort; I have moved my computer from the ever so convenient spot in the den, to the none so convenient spot of computer/craft/guest room.

My birthday weekend was so fantastic that I am planning on a repeat; Spring Break started for the princesses today, so they are off tomorrow on a fun-filled week at the beach with their aunt and grandfather. I am left here to labor and whine. (And whine and whine and whine.)

Today was Pi Day; for all you not so geeky math teachers, it was 3-14 (also Albert Einstein's birthday: how freaky is that?) so we had pie for math today. But not until I had worked this process through for an entire week. Circles, circumference, diameter, radius, how to calculate pi: by golly, the whole nine yards. My plans for this week were the best I have written this year. (FYI: My plans for next week - not so good). And today, we did circle graphs and percents to show pie preferences and we ate the hell out of some pies. I had 12 pies (okay, 11 pies and 1 cookie cake) in math today and we had a ball. Okay, I was sick just cutting them up, but my kids kept on eating. I had to stop one kid who had turned green.

Do you know what you get after you let kids eat pie for breakfast? Rowdy kids for lunch. So, after lunch, I played "Let's Make a Deal," better known as "The Quiet Game." For prizes. And, I actually had eight kids who won.

I also lost one of my geniuses today. He told me he was going to the bathroom, but didn't come back with the other kid he had gone with. I couldn't find him. I finally had to call the office. Apparently, he had taken it upon himself to go to the library, but, shhhhhh, don't tell Mrs. Teachergirl. I was so damned mad and scared at the same time, I turned his card to red (that's the worst thing that can happen to you) and wrote one hell of a note home. Nothing personal, little man, but don't disappear on me. I am pretty laid back, but if someone had stolen you, there would have been a huge problem. And that's what I told him. He was pretty mad about the note home, but by the quiet game, I think he understood where I was coming from. This is also the same genius who wouldn't get started on the writing test a few weeks ago. A little spoiled is what I think.

Spring Break can't come soon enough for me.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

It's no more pleasant when they're 15 and wander off. I had one go AWOL about 20 minutes into our 90-minute class. Fourth period, on a Friday. The darling lad asked to use the loo and didn't return to me until the FOLLOWING TUESDAY. I phoned in to the office to say that I was concerned he had gotten lost between the boys' bathroom and my classroom. When I finally did see him again, he said that he had - and I quote - "the shits" and couldn't make it out of the toilet.

When does your spring break start? We get four days at Easter, but we don't have "spring break" until April 5th, which seems like hell and gone from now.

3/15/2008 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!