Thursday, July 24, 2008

Plans A Plenty

After reading Angie's Thursday Thirteen and realizing that my summer vacation is coming to a screeching halt, I have begun to think about what I need to do to get ready for school.

I am all Language Arts and Math this year. One section of Math and the rest Language Arts. In one way, this is my dream job. Writing, grammar, spelling and, of course, all things math. We are going to departmentalize and I am going to see all the 5th graders every day. How exciting!! How middle school!! (Have I mentioned how much I miss middle school? I love my school, but I love the excitement of middle school - I admit it; even the hormones and the drama. The departmentalization is a nod to me missing middle school. But it is also a huge step in getting these babies ready for that gigantic step of going to middle school in another year. None of them are ready for all the changes that occur - by rotating them around in 5th grade, we thought that we would be giving them a little preparation for one of the many huge changes that are awaiting them in middle school.)

Now, what do I need to do? Plenty. But I am in a better place this year than I was last year. Two subjects instead of six. I have to plan but I just can't get myself there yet. I really have to get Prep ready to take her driving test next Friday. She is starting to get nervous, so I am going to make her drive everywhere for the next week. EVERYWHERE. (Consider that fair warning.) And, of course, my vacation ends right as we celebrate PrepGirl's and PrincipalGirl's birthdays. (They share a birthday. And believe me, you better celebrate both of them.) So, just as I begin the freak out of going back to school, I have a house full of company.

So, my plan is to just enjoy - the stress level will be what it will be later.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Finding Normal said...

Yeah, Angie had to go and burst my denial bubble too. So I went out there today and worked for 2 hours. That'll make her feel terrible when she peeks in my room and sees changes. Furniture arranged, my desk set up, a tiny ray of hope. Then she'll feel really behind. Mwa hahaahaa.
I dream of departmentalization. Unfortunately, we have such a small school, it's nearly impossible. We have 2 of each grade level, except we have 1 multi-age (Angie this year). I covet one subject all day.

7/24/2008 2:49 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

Have you thought about returning to middle school? Better yet, have you thought about teaching high school in, say, a small town in North Carolina?

Just asking.

My kids' elementary school does the block thing in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades, so all teachers see all kids. Everyone enjoys it a great deal.

I think your summer plans sound DIVINE, and I would not change a thing. What time are the girls' birthday parties? Do we need to bring anything?

7/24/2008 4:06 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Debbie: I have been in my sweet little trailer several times to sort things out - arrange desks, paint, blah, blah, blah. Today, I go to find that the contract carpet cleaners have gone and undone all my hard work. Desks and chairs are all shoved against the walls (I thought BrownBear was going to have a stroke. Such a perfectionist and a hard worker.) and book shelves are pulled out and they even broke one of my freakin' pictures. Morons.

Cupcake: If I could get LawyerBoy to Mayberry, I would be RIGHT THERE, girlfriend. In the high school. Because I think that is really my calling. The older the kid, the harder they crack me up.

All I believe this party is going to require is plenty of Cosmos. In a big martini glass. BIG. Because PrincipalGirl and I just like to sit back and watch the drama unfold. And this year, we've got drama to spare.

7/24/2008 4:23 PM  
Blogger Finding Normal said...

I would stroke out right now. I cannot handle people screwing up stuff that's checked off my list! You're lucky to have a helper, though. My helper is 3 and enjoys the dry erase board, putting tiny blocks in his mouth until I have a heart attack, whining that he's hungry, and general destruction. Last year I used the babysitter's daughter, but since I broke up with that sitter last month I feel weird asking to borrow her kid. Sigh.

7/25/2008 5:17 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Excuse me. Ya'll quit going into your rooms and making arrangements and plans. All I did was list what I need to do in the future...far into the future. Now I am panicking. I hope you're all happy.

7/26/2008 3:13 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Angie, you've given back to school a whole lot more thought than I. I've just slung paint and desks around. I won't get serious until next Thursday - also known as Meet and Greet.

7/26/2008 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!