Thursday, July 17, 2008

Teachergirl and BrownBear for Hire

BrownBear and PrepGirl spent last week in New Orleans working with their youth group to help with the clean up. BrownBear helped paint a school and came back so fired up, she offered to help me paint my own classroom this week.

For those of you who don't know, I teach in a portable. A trailer. When I was first assigned to this trailer, I was apprehensive. I am in front of the school with two other fifth grade trailers.

Let me tell you that this trailer assignment is a thing of beauty. I am virtually left alone by administration. My Assistant Principal does not like to get her hair messed up and if it looks windy, misty, sunny, warm, or whatever, she won't come out. Delicious, right? I can come and go as I please. My key works 24/7. Every other teacher inside the building has to work the hours that the building is open. So, if I need to do something after hours which requires my room, I am set.

This week, BrownBear and I decided to paint my room. My room was originally the nastiest institutional green you can imagine. It was chipped, it had marks on the wall and it was depressing. I could not function in this environment for one more year. So, my little painter girl offered to help paint and I could not refuse her offer.

In a few short hours, we transformed my hideous little trailer into a thing of beauty. Now granted, I just painted like hell. There is a little paint on the baseboards and a little paint on the floor and a few marks on the ceiling. This is driving BrownBear crazy. She is patient, careful and (I think) a little OCD. She wants to go back and fix our mistakes.

I'm just so happy with how it looks now, I can hardly see our mistakes. When I get posters and bulletin boards up, no one will be able to see our indiscretions. And I'm thinking that BrownBear and I could hire ourselves out for the next couple of days, renovating portables.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

How are you with renovating packed classrooms full of yearbook equipment, yearbook furniture, classroom furniture, and classroom equipment?

Will you not post a photo of your efforts? What color did you choose?

7/17/2008 11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What color did you paint it?

7/17/2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Of course! A photo. BrownBear is my resident photographer and I am sure, once I have slung my junk around (and I do mean junk) and thrown the rest of it away and gotten my desks arranged and posters up, I will post a photo. In the meantime, imagine a light khaki covering up the crap.

7/17/2008 1:13 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

BTW, Cupcake, what is yearbook equipment?

7/17/2008 1:13 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

Cameras, scanners, rulers, marking pencils - it's CRAP is what it is, I tell ya.

7/17/2008 1:32 PM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

Come on by my school--we could use the help! My daughters helped me paint my classroom about 6 or 7 years ago, and that's the last time those walls have seen a fresh coat of paint!

7/17/2008 3:53 PM  
Blogger Joke said...

Oh, I KNOW that green! I used to call it "Soviet Day Care Green."

-J.

7/18/2008 1:51 PM  
Blogger Duez said...

You should take pictures of each step along the way. That's always fun to see. I love taking photos of my room. I have had 4 different classrooms in the last 4 years... and I'm set for a 5th one this 5th year in the district.

But, I am very much looking forward to it. It is a new start. Sometimes that's the best thing a teacher can ask for. And I am assuming your paint job will give you just that.

Looking forward to seeing pictures.

7/22/2008 3:23 PM  
Blogger Teacha said...

pictures, pictures, pictures!!! I'm dying to see it!

8/14/2008 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!