Saturday, December 19, 2009

Do You Hear What I Hear? Part Two

Not the collective sigh of relief that permeated the district yesterday as the cherubs - full of holiday cheer and cupcake sugar - boarded different modes of transportation and got the hell out of dodge - but the gasp of shock and outright outrage at the superintendent of our district who had sent us an email prohibiting us from speaking with a certain reporter from our local newspaper. Right before he, and the board of education, sent us holiday greetings telling us how wonderful we were. Delete.

This reporter has been at odds with the superintendent and the board forever, as has the local paper. I've had the opportunity to speak with him about our paycut and our step freeze - and I have found it refreshing to have someone on our side. For heaven's sake, the legislative representives for our district, at a meeting this week honoring the local bodies of education, told our board that they had a huge number of outstanding teachers, but that got lost because the board was "out of control" and had an agenda all its own. Pow.

I have no idea what caused this action on the part of the superintendent - something happened at the board meeting and the superintendent sent out this email.

After I checked my pocket copy of the Constitution and the attorney I sleep with, I am pretty certain I don't get told by my employers who to talk to. I am sure someone's going to get fired, but in the long run, that someone is going to prevail. BIG time. And I want to watch as the superintendent and the board have to eat it.

That might be the best Christmas present of all.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Mamie said...

Cheering you on!!!

12/19/2009 10:05 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Poor Jon. He's good at making them look stupid, isn't he?

Again, I am thankful we moved out of the county and into the city 12 years ago. Foolishness then, foolishness now. SSDD.

12/19/2009 7:48 PM  
Blogger T said...

Sounds a lot like my counties BOE.....idiots. Do they have kids in school? Oh, no wait - Little precious is in private school!

Love your blog! I'm adding it to my list so I can come back!

12/20/2009 7:37 AM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

Way to stand up for the 1st Amendment! Our superintendent just got a couple hundred thousand dollar raise. He is also building a gazillion dollar palace to house "central administration." We plebes, however, have not had even a COLA the past two years. Please raise your hand if this doesn't compute...

12/20/2009 8:34 PM  
Blogger Lennye said...

Oh my! Our principal often makes comments about how she doesn't want to ever see us on Channel 5 news!

Hang in there. T mentioned your child goes to private school, mine too!

12/24/2009 8:27 AM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Delete, indeed. I love the delete button...especially after a long, depressing email followed by the generic, "Thanks for what you do."

12/28/2009 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Sarah in NC said...

Sounds like your school board could be a twin of ours. Google "Burke County Board of Education" when you have the urge to feel sorry for folks less fortunate than you - our "out of control" board, before they could be voted out, has our high schools under threat of losing accreditation, and left a $500,000 legal bill and empty coffers to pay.

12/29/2009 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!