Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Great Ticonderoga Experiment

Today at Costco, I bought twelve dozen Dixon Ticonderoga pencils (made of finest cedar) for seven bucks and some change. I just gave a box to BrownBear's best friend and I am planning on handing them out to my class tomorrow. No more crappy pencils in Mrs. Teachergirl's classroom. This whole episode is being brought to you by a blog from Bluebird's Classroom http://bluebirdsclassroom.blogspot.com/ entitled "They Just Don't Make Them Like They Used To."

I am only intrigued by this because of the number of electric pencil sharpeners I have gone through in the last seven years. I can't even count the number I have bought. I have actually had room mothers buy them for me. I am afraid they think I am somehow selling them on the black market. LawyerBoy has had the same electric pencil sharpener on his desk since I met him our junior year in college. His parents informed me today that they bought him that electric pencil sharpener when he was in junior high school.

Now, I don't know what gives. LawyerBoy was an accounting major; he sharpened more pencils than everyone else I knew in college. He has had this pencil sharpener for 30 years. At least. I can't keep one for six months.

We shall see if the rotten, crappy school pencil is, indeed, what is killing the sharpener.

I, personally, have always loved the Dixon Ticonderoga. It is smooth, sleek. It smells right. Really. I had my entire math class just take a whiff of a brand new box of them last week. "Smell, boys and girls. This is what a real pencil smells like." BrownBear just smiled and shook her head; the rest of them smelled and nodded and said," Yes, Mrs. Teachergirl, this is what a real pencil is like."

Tomorrow is Christmas for a girl like me. New pencils. Isn't this why all teachers really became teachers? Ticonderoga pencils?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

There's nothing like a first-rate pencil to make everything about a day seem better!

2/05/2007 10:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

But how is the eraser?

I've noticed that modern pencil erasers are not as good as I remember; they seem just to smudge the graphite around rather than actually removing it.

Of course, I erased until I could almost see through the paper!

I also recall the importance of having a #2 pencil as opposed to a #1 or #3.

Ah! the memories of simple pleasures!

Enjoy!

2/09/2007 12:38 AM  
Blogger Joke said...

I like the Fabers, myself.

-J.

2/12/2007 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!