Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Summer School v. Vacation Bible School

Summer school - next year, when the applications get passed out, someone stop me. The floating ESOL teacher is helping me do guided reading and I made sure she had my older student in her group. She is precious, and she is as exasperated with him as I am. He danced for her today. Oh yeah, and used the word "blowjob" for his new little friends. Apparently, that was the word of the day. Yea, summer school!!! Ten days until the test. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!! The question of the week is, however, is it better than having to do Vacation Bible School? I have done VBS my whole life and to be honest, I am glad to have a reason not to be there. How bad is that? I hate being guilted into doing Bible School, but honestly, after you've taught all year long, don't you think you could find something else for me to do besides teach? Anything else. Maybe next year, I could be the song leader.

A word of explanation.

Every year, Bible School begins with all the children gathering together for a musical beginning where a group of the youth and an "adult" lead them in the songs for the week. You know, the themed songs and the old songs that all the kids love to sing. This goes on for about 20 minutes before all the children go to their various activities. For the past several years, one girl has lead the music - she is the daughter of a member, flunked out of Vanderbilt, kicked a drug habit, put on about 75 pounds, smokes like a chimney and dresses like a hooker. Just the role model you are looking for for your teenaged daughter. Last year, the children's minister had to tell her to put on a shirt over the questionable top she was wearing in front of all the three year olds and their teachers and parents. You know the top: spaghetti straps, pajama material, braless. Same top I've seen her wear to church. In the sanctuary.

What the hell?

So, maybe next year, I can stand up in front of the children with my youth posse, and lead them in the songs of Bible School. Twenty minutes and I'm outta there. No one would question my outfits, that's for sure. And that gig would have to be better than the one I've got right now.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dewey said...

I'm actually sort of getting mad on your behalf that you're guilted into VBS after you teach all school year! I hope the song leader thing works out for you. And if you are still blogging next spring, I will keep an eye on you and remind you NO SUMMER SCHOOL.

6/12/2007 6:39 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

Yeah, I got hit up for VBS too. They tried the "you quit teaching Sunday School, so we thought you would enjoy VBS" line with me, but I essentially told them to talk to the hand. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'm tired of children. I'm even tired of my own children right now. The very last thing I want to do is take care of other people's. Especially when I've got so many fabulous trashy television shows stored away on the DVR.

Jesus still loves me. That's what the song says. But if you hear otherwise, let me know.

6/15/2007 6:07 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Amen, sister.

6/16/2007 9:10 AM  
Blogger Sally Datria said...

Cupcake, you have me laughing hilariously, because I feel the love sista!!!

6/29/2007 2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!