Saturday, June 09, 2007

Vacation Blues

The first week of summer school is blissfully over; I quietly countdown the minutes as they tick away every day. I know that isn't a good thing to do as a teacher, but I'm not your ordinary teacher, I am a summer school teacher.

One huge concern in my room is the presence of a 13 1/2 year old 5th grader who is trying to pass the Super Big State Test. He is living in a homeless shelter. WTH has been my battle cry all week. Is anybody listening? Not until Thursday did someone really hear me and start to look into what has happened to this young man. Because really, if you are almost 14, you aren't a child anymore.


Another big concern in my room: several of the kids told me that they had just fallen asleep during the test. Again, WTH? I was told that I had to circulate, make sure everyone was on task, make sure everyone was on the right section. How do you let children fail by sleeping through the test? Uncaring and unprofessional. That's all. A few of my kids are smart; too smart to be where I am teaching.


BrownBear returned from a week at camp and slept for 14 hours upon her return. No, that isn't a typo - 14 hours. She appeared to PrepGirl and I yesterday at 2:00 PM. She said she wouldn't have gotten up at all if she hadn't had to go to the bathroom. I had been home from school for an hour and a half and I expected to be greated with shouts and cheers and "Let's go to the pool!" Instead, I got to find out what the evil Stefano was up to in the town of Salem.

So, five days of summer school down, 12 more teaching days until the big test.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger HappyChyck said...

Uhm...yea. I can see why you're countin' down the days. The last time I taught summer school I had an 8th grader who would not even read at a 1st grade level. He was a prickly kid, too. I could see how he got that way since he has to constantly deal with the fact that he can't read.

So, what about your old 5th grader? Is he capable of passing with some help this summer, or does he keep getting held back?

6/09/2007 7:17 PM  
Blogger Dewey said...

I did summer school one year and it was the most depressing thing ever.

6/11/2007 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!