Monday, July 28, 2008

Apparently, Repairmen Need Not Apply

I came home from running errands and PrepGirl and BrownBear said that they thought that there was something was wrong with the garage door we can use with the outside opener. 'Great,' I thought. Just something else we're going to have to deal with. I had come inside using that door but hadn't heard anything unusual. They insisted that I come upstairs to hear how bad the door sounded. Indeed, when I got upstairs and the door opened and shut, it sounded like it was grinding and rattling. So, I made a decree. Don't use that door until your father gets home.

Fast forward. To Saturday afternoon when I remembered why I hadn't been using the garage door on my side. I explain my dilemma to LawyerBoy and ask him go stand where PrepGirl and BrownBear had me stand in the kitchen to listen while I opened and shut the garage door. "Do it again," he shouted. "I've got it."

He's got it? He fixed the garage door from the kitchen? I have always teased him that his JD was tantamount to a miracle degree - allowing him to diagnose disease, predict pregnancies, tell you what's wrong with your car - so I assumed he had taken that law degree and done another miracle diagnosis.

My garage door problem? Kitchen Aid mixer was sitting loose on its stand and that was causing the crazy rattling as the door opened.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Oh, he is good. Can he come fix mine? It stops at odd intervals when we try to close it, so we have to keep pressing the stupid button.

But don't you just love the KitchenAid mixer? Even if it does wreak havoc with the garage door opener?

When my dad wanted to fix something, he blew on it. Hand to Oprah. I had a clock - he opened it, blew in it, and it worked. My cassette player? Blew in it. The toaster? Blew in it. Oddest darn thing. And he was an accountant.

7/28/2008 8:48 AM  
Blogger Finding Normal said...

You are cracking me up because that is totally something I would do. I might have even gone a step further and called a repairman since my hubs is hopeless in the home improvement department!

7/28/2008 9:58 AM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

That is hilarious. I love that you didn't use it for days. My husband would never let me live that one down. Hope your husband goes easy on you.

7/29/2008 6:48 AM  
Blogger Melissa B. said...

That's why I'm sending my two to law school! Did I ever tell you the story about when I lived in a high-crime area and the burglar alarm went off? To make a very loooonnnnggg story short, unbalanced washingmachine. I nearly soiled my britches that night!

7/29/2008 7:39 PM  
Blogger absurdly yours said...

I just spit Diet Dr. Pepper all over the monitor. I can't believe that is what the noise was.

7/31/2008 9:50 AM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Just another day in paradise.

7/31/2008 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!