Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Cue the Olympic Theme Music

Today was the first day we rotated classes. I felt like I was running an Olympic marathon. Each of the English classes I teach is 45 minutes long, except for Math which lasts an entire hour. (You know why. They failed the test in droves last year. The county demands the time. They wanted 75 minutes, so we have to incorporate the extra15 minutes during the rest of the day. Can you imagine? We can't keep teachers engaged for 75 minutes.)

The first period is the one with the Sped kids. Their class also has 24 students. And guess what? No para-pro. No co-teacher. Just little ole teachergirl. Luckily, there were no issues, but I can see them looming on the perimeter.

My math class is a dream - with the exception of the people who could not read the schedule and figure out where their names were. As I pointed out, if you couldn't find your name, you shouldn't be in my class. (OK, sarcasm isn't an effective means of discipline with a student, but damn, kids, this is the accelerated math class. If you can't read the schedule, you don't belong with me.)

When my homeroom got back to me, they were beat. (They weren't the only ones.) They did my little writing assignment, packed up and went home. Me, too. All in all, I saw 85 of them today. Eighty-five.

I really have to get my stuff together, though. My lesson plans are shoddy. At best.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Do you enjoy having 85 kids cycle through in one day? I see about that many, but it's for 90-minute chunks. Familiarity truly can breed contempt, or at least it does for me for them. I'm sure they all adore me.

If your accelerated kids can't read the schedule, then you're right - they can't be considered accelerated. Isn't reading a table part of math? Hello?

You're almost through with the first week, teach! You only have 35 left! Yay you!

8/13/2008 8:19 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Lesson plans?! What? I kinda sorta have tomorrow sketched out. The rest of the year? No clue.

8/13/2008 10:11 PM  
Blogger Teacha said...

It's just the first week of school. . . i didn't know we were supposed to have miraculous lesson plans. . . I thought it was all pretests, getting to know you and rules and procedures. Well hats off to an awesome, but exhausting first week. I love that students are getting a bit of middle school environment early, but I'm sure it was exhausting and exhilarating for them all at the same time.

Have a good Friday!

8/14/2008 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!