Saturday, August 09, 2008

Meet and Greet 2008

Could this be the year? Let these be my examples. You make the call.

First, I am teaching one of my former preschoolers. I know. It's hard to believe that teachergirl was ever in a position to teach pre-school, but one of my education professors told me to always try to stay in teaching, no matter what. It keeps you sharp. So while I was home with the girls, I tried various teaching jobs; I was able to teach English and Math at the local Institute of Technology (NO, not that one) and also at the pre-school that Prep and BrownBear attended. One year, I taught the most adorable class of three year olds I have ever seen. Taught might not be the most appropriate word, but I was with them for a year. I even taught Lewis Grizzard's wife's child that year. (Not Lewis Grizzard's child because my boy Lewis didn't have any children and for the life of me, I can't figure out why, because he was as wild as any one man ever was. But I digress.) One of those adorable three year olds is now one of my adorable fifth graders. Prep babysits for his family. He and his mama and daddy wanted me. Life is good. She is a PTA mom. (Not one of those PTA moms. One of those.) One year, she organized Christmas carolling in the neighborhood and brought the school children to teachergirl's house. Adorable. (I'll bet you didn't know I had this side to me.)

Second, this was the first year I have posted a wish list. I have seen the other teachers do it in the past; you know, you put things you wish you had for your class but you don't have the whatever to get: I've seen people put all kinds of things on their wish lists. So, I wished for extra notebook paper, extra Kleenex, someone to fix my barstool, a heavy duty pencil sharpener and some umbrellas. I put sticky notes out for people to take if they wished. (It's a wish list and it works both ways - I wish and they get to grant wishes if they wish to do so.)

People: in the first wave of parents and students to come through, all my wishes were taken. So, I did what any self respecting teacher would do in case more parents came. I made more. And they got taken, too.

Third, I had 16 of my 18 students come to Meet and Greet. Can you fathom that? It was amazing. And I had a boatload of old students come back for a hug. I could feel the love.

Now, you tell me. Is this the year or not?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Finding Normal said...

Oh Hooray! It does sound like this might be THE year! I envy you, as I'm not anticipating it for myself this year. Although it certainly can't be much worse than last year. Wait, strike that from the record. Immediately. I shall not tempt Oprah.

8/09/2008 11:05 AM  
Blogger Finding Normal said...

And 18 students? That right there sounds like heaven! I have 25 on my list to start with, but am more used to classes of 30. I've never had under 23. I bet you have a TA, too, don't you???

8/09/2008 11:06 AM  
Blogger cupcake said...

Bah humbug.

Yeah, sure, I'm happy for you and all that. But what about ME? I've got upwards of 25 in each of two classes, plus the Damn Yearbook, and that's just the first semester. Plus, I get back one Genius who broke another Genius's nose, two of my formerly pregnant Geniuses from last year, a Genius who reacted to just about anything from "get out a piece of paper" to "please step out in the hall" by throwing a desk across the room, and a Genius who announced that he needed to use the restroom because it was time to "drop the kids off at the pool."

So yay you. Yay you and your 18 precious angels and PTA Mom (I was President of the PTA one year, by the bye) and wish lists and all that stuff.

Thank goodness for the cheer mom meetings is all I've got to say.

8/09/2008 11:10 AM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Oh, wait. I didn't say anything about the Special Ed rotation. Because when we change for classes we get everybody. And two of those bodies needs a co-teacher and a parapro. Because one of them is EBD with a violent streak. Wheee!!! But don't dampen my mood right now. Because I am Cheermom!!!

8/09/2008 11:14 AM  
Blogger cupcake said...

Well, thank Oprah there will be blog fodder in your classes.

Maybe the EBD kid will be medicated? Or his wraparound will have a taser?

8/09/2008 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't jinx it. That's all I'm sayin'.

-J.

8/10/2008 9:14 AM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Joke is right. Don't jinx it. I am shutting up right now.

8/10/2008 12:31 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Back the truck up. 18 students?! You must be joking. Tell me you're joking. I have 26 in a 4/5 split and will be sharing a TA between 4 teachers. You suck.

8/10/2008 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!