Thursday, September 04, 2008

Tales Out of School

If I know I am going to be out of my classroom, I leave detailed, detailed, lesson plans which I expect to be followed to the letter. If I didn't expect them to be followed, I wouldn't take the time to make the plans in the first place. I'd just leave some pile of crap on my desk and let the kids muddle through the best that they could. However, I don't do that because I care about what my students are doing, even when I'm not there.

Apparently, my substitute yesterday didn't share my enthusiasm for the plan. She sat in my chair, behind my desk and ate Cheerios from her box. She shouted directives from behind my desk and when those didn't work, she called my kids special. Now, what the hell is that supposed to mean? Something sarcastic, as one of my kids told me. They aren't stupid. They got it. She didn't even write my assignment on the whiteboard.

Never fear - I took her name off our sub list.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

At least you had one show up. Twice last year, I didn't.

I agree - nothing is more frustrating than a sub changing the plans. Aggravates me every time. And calling the kids "special?" That's OUR job, thank you very much. We can call them whatever we want. The subs have to show respect.

9/04/2008 10:12 PM  
Blogger Finding Normal said...

Nothing chaps me worse than a bad sub. I had a sub one year tell one of my boys she was going to have Billy sit on him. Billy was overweight, and already had enough problems without having his size taunted at his peers. That one was removed ASAP!

9/05/2008 5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. My name is Edgar and I'm an editor at OpposingViews.com, the debate website. Since we both cover education issues, I thought I'd drop you a note. I would've e-mailed you but I couldn't find an address.
See, we're currently having a discussion about whether or not homeschooled kids are at a disadvantage. You can see it here:
http://www.opposingviews.com/questions/are-homeschooled-kids-at-a-disadvantage
Although vetted experts are the ones doing the debating, anyone can contribute by choosing a side and posting comments about the experts' arguments.
Check it out and, if you have the time, let me know what you think at eacosta@opposingviews.com
Thanks!

9/18/2008 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!