Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Democracy In Action

Our school has spent the last year rolling around with the IB program. We sent representatives to the initial training (me, included), we trained faculty members, we have read about units, we have written units; we have immersed ourselves in the stuff. Our parents were in love with the idea, but our principal said that she would let us vote on whether we would continue to pursue IB status.

There is a very vocal opposition in our school (VERY) who fear change and hard work. They managed to scrounge together one more vote than those of us who supported pursuing the IB certification. One vote, people.

My fear is that our principal will leave over this. And trust me, people, we have it great at our school. I have been places where I have had to eat with my students, sign in and out of the building, turn in lesson plans two weeks in advance and other such nonsense. Our principal does not believe in this kind of craziness. These people who voted this plan down have not looked farther than their own noses - they don't have any idea what could be coming down the pike for them. They may have cut off their noses to spite their faces.

And in turn, they may have ruined my perfect world.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Finding Normal said...

What's IB stand for?
We've been blessed with an awesome principal this year. Notsomuch the previous 7.

4/15/2008 8:13 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

Debbie: IB stands for the International Baccalaureate program.

I fear for our future.

4/15/2008 8:39 PM  
Blogger John Deere Mom said...

Deb-I think IB is the program that one of our schools is going to change to once they close after next year.
Teachergirl-I hope your perfect world isn't rocked...

4/15/2008 8:44 PM  
Blogger Sally Datria said...

I work at a school where I have to sign in and out of the building....they say it's so they don't keep searching the rubble for me if I'm off campus when disaster strikes...like I'm holding my breath that they would search at all!!! PULEEESE!!

Big state testing all done here...now the kids think they are done. I actually had one ask me, "so what do we do for the rest of the year, watch movies??" OH MY!! Are they in for a SURPRISE!!

4/16/2008 3:44 AM  
Blogger cupcake said...

What is the reluctance for IB? We just had a middle school here go all IB, and the entire (INN-tire, as we like to say) community applauded.

If your perfect world is rocked, the rest of us will help you raise hell. I'm very festive at hell raising parties.

4/17/2008 5:06 PM  
Blogger teachergirl said...

I believe the reluctance comes from the lazy side of the building. And the group of people who believe that if they didn't initiate it or aren't running it, then they aren't doing it. And the older teachers who are coasting (and I mean coasting) to retirement. Girls, I've got a 12 year old who is talking about going to dental school - I will never retire. So I might as well do something meaningful.

And if my perfect world is rocked, you'd better believe you're coming down here for a hellfest like you've never seen before. KA-type hell raising.

4/17/2008 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!